[3830] NAQP CW VE7FO SO

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW VE7FO SO
From: jimsmith@home.com (jimsmith@home.com)
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 05:01:46 -0400 (EDT)
                     North America QSO Party - CW

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: SO LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:     21     14
   40:     47     23
   20:    132     43
   15:     67     32
   10:      1      1
----------------------
Total:    268    113  =  30,284

Club/Team:

Comments:

Not much to say this time.  Band conditions rather poor with weak signals and
much QRN.  Looking on the bright side, there weren't any intermod problems.
Checked 10 periodically.  There was always a signal on the band.  It was always
KH6ND.

First 6 hours spent jumping back and forth between 15 & 20 then 2 hours between
20 & 40 and finally 2 hours between 40 & 80.  Things were so slow I thought I
would dip my toe into the SO2R ocean.  Well, it's still just one radio.  I CQd
with the Main VFO on the MkV and tuned with the Sub VFO with the Main RX
feeding the left ear and the Sub the right.  Now I could hear QRN on 2
frequencies at once.  The tuning is pretty slow, of course as you can't hear
anything in the Sub while transmitting and I wanted to keep those CQs going so
as not to miss anyone tuning by.  When I heard someone in the Sub RX that I
wanted to work I hit the Sub TX button, worked him, and then hit the Main TX
button and called CQ again.  At about 2330 I switched from 20 to 15 and heard
VE5MX about S9.  I called and called with no response.  I was getting pretty
annoyed,  How could he not hear me.  Is he mad at me for some reason?  Oh, I've
been transmitting on the Sub which is still on 20.  Sorry guys.  Another time I
was CQing while tuning around on the Sub.  Oh no!  I'm transmitting on the Sub.
 Sorry again guys.  Guess I'd better research how to do this properly.  I did
actually make a few Qs and mults I wouldn't have otherwise so I'll probably be
terrorizing the bands again on the 18th.  So, do I check SO2R on hornucopia or
not?  It's one radio, so I didn't.

Should be able to move from the 2nd floor into the basement ham shack currently
under construction in a couple of weeks.  I'm looking forward to having an
intimate relationship with ground.  (Perhaps, as an old fart, I should find
another way of expressing how nice it will be to not be 1/4 wave away from
ground on 20.)  Also hope to get the tribander an additional 10' off the roof.

My admiration for TRLog (usual disclaimer) continues to grow.  It's like one of
those computer games, you look into a hitherto unexplored part and a whole new
world opens up.  Didn't try to use any of its SO2R support but I guess that's
next.

As always, I am humbled by the operating skills displayed in the contest.
Thanks to all those who took the time to dig me out of the mud and thanks to
everyone for the Qs.