[3830] WAE SSB PJ2T M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB PJ2T M/S HP
From: martyt@pobox.com (martyt@pobox.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:23:25 -0400 (EDT)
                     WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): NW0L, AE9B
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

   80:     14      0      9
   40:    353    234     38
   20:    950    677     51
   15:    784    620     52
   10:    138     80     31
-------------------------------
Total:   2239   1611    181  =  1,607,210

Club/Team:

Comments:

First time for us operating outside the USA and first time ever in the WAE SSB
contest. So all in all, we're extremely satisfied with our effort. Got back to
the states barely 12 hours before the events in New York started; we feel
extremely blessed to have made it back.

The PJ2T station at Signal Point in Curacao is well on its way to becoming a
truely world-class competitive station. The low band antenna farm isn't
complete yet, so we couldn't do much on 75m. We were using a sloping dipole to
transmit, and listening on the 40m beam. That situation will be remedied in the
next few months!

Excellent rate the first day, but Sunday killed us - between X-ray events and
generally poor propagation to Europe, we just never got it going. There were a
few hours, mid-day on Sunday, where we had only 10 to 20 Qs per hour.

Regarding QTCs, we found it exceedingly difficult to exchange them with many of
the European stations calling; most called with serial numbers that were very
low and wouldn't accept QTCs when we asked; we did make the mistake early on of
choosing run rate over QTC passing, and so got behind the curve. We were left
holding just over 600 QTCs that we couldn't get rid of - we'd really like to
know what secret ZW5B and K4JA had for getting the EU stations to take all
their QTCs! Congratulations to those stations for achieving what seems like an
impossible task!

Station configuration:

IC-765, LK-800A amp, 1000W input power, WriteLog software.
Also used a TS-930 into an Ameritron AL-1200 amp

Antennas:

75m - Wires with 40m for listening
40m - 2 el rotatable at 100 ft
20m - 5 el fixed EU at 95 ft
15m - 5 el fixed EU at 85 ft
10m - 6 el fixed EU at 75 ft

Thanks to all the stations who called us - it became abundantly clear in this
contest that the "little pistols" who get on to hand out just a few Q's are the
ones who really make it a contest.

QSL PJ2T via KN7Y

73 es gud dx

-Marty NW0L & Tom AE9B