[3830] PAQP K8MR/M M/S Mobile LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] PAQP K8MR/M M/S Mobile LP
From: jimk8mr@aol.com (jimk8mr@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:01:56 -0400 (EDT)
                     Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station:

Class: M/S Mobile  Power: LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:
   80:
   40:     258      144
   20:     119       31
   15:      19       16
   10:       2
    6:
    2:
-----------------------------------
Total:     398      194       99  =  86,509

Club:

Comments:

K8MR/m (with W8DRZ, driver)   2001 PaQSO Party, Sunday only.

In order of appearance:

                        CW              SSB
Mercer                  20              3
Venango                 18              0
Butler                  13              5
Armstrong               9               2
Clarion                 32              6
Jefferson               8               10
Forest                  35              45
Warren                  8               6
McKean                  16              5
Elk                     41              43
Clearfield              27              35
Centre                  25              3
Blair                   41              6
Bedford                 46              3
Somerset                29              7
Westmoreland            30              12

Total                   398             194

50 Sections    49 counties

         78309          points
          8000          16 counties x 500
           200          one qso with K3CSG

        86,509          Final Score

I think this includes all the multipliers, county line stations, etc.

By band:

                        CW              SSB
40                      258             144
20                      119             31
15                      19              16
10                       2              0

Equipment:  IC-746, Hamsticks (two bands at a time), IBM Laptop running NA,
1996 Ford Windstar.

We had a great time. The weather was a disappointment, as the fall colors would
have been far nicer with some sunshine.  The rain was quite heavy from
Clearfield to west of Somerset, which slowed our driving. Although we had
pretty good luck on 15 meters early on, once the rain picked up neither of us
wanted to stand in the rain changing antennas, so it was only 40 and 20 meters
from Elk on.

We spent about half an hour parked in Forest, and 10 minutes in Elk, to pass
out as many qsos from those two rare places as we could. We also spent about 5
minutes in Armstrong to get past the 10 qso threshold for the bonus points. A
McDonalds stop in Phillipsburg was the only other stop.

8 of the 18 counties we missed were ones we operated from:  ARM, CLA, JEF, FOR,
ELK, BLA, BED, and SOM.

I was impressed by the ability of KC3M to find us repeatedly on 20 CW.  The
most difficult qso was with K3NM on 20 SSB from Warren county.  I'm sure I was
puny weak, but since I had worked him from home in Ohio on Saturday, it took me
a long time to convince him and/or his computer that I was not in Ohio on
Sunday as well.

Pennsylvania certainly wastes no money on county line signs.  There were a lot
of places we missed them and had to make an educated guess that we had entered
a new county.

I hope to be back next year, perhaps for both days. It will be fun to go head
to head with my good friend W1NN on his home turf.

73  -  Jim   K8MR