[3830] JARTS AA5AU SOAB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] JARTS AA5AU SOAB
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (aa5au@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:45:59 -0400 (EDT)
                     JARTS WW RTTY Contest

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: W5
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

   80:     30     61     14
   40:     93    218     39
   20:    414   1042     75
   15:    406   1052     84
   10:    447   1244     83
----------------------------
Total:   1390   3617    295  =  1,067,015

Club/Team:

Comments:

First time over a million points in JARTS.  Broke the NA record with 4 hours to
go and decided to press hard for the million but it was a real struggle when
the K index jumped to 5, then 6 during the last 8 hours of the contest.

Best contacts were VK6HD on 40M late Sunday afternoon longpath and having
UJ1BBC call me from Uzbekistan on 20.

Condx on 10 meters were excellent Saturday, but like CQWW RTTY, the bands went
bad on Sunday or the damage could have been more severe.

Had a few weird moments like when I forgot to screw down a connector for one of
the antennas and every time I keyed that radio, the power supply would shut off
on the other radio.  Then the YL plugged in the iron on the same circuit as the
amp and kicked off the breaker in the middle of a run. hi  My old SB200 gave up
early so was barefoot on the 2nd radio for about 75% of the contest but the
AL-80B ran great at 500 watts the whole weekend.  WriteLog ran great, no
problems.

My goal at the start was 1300 Q's, 3000 QSO points and 270 mults, so I'm glad I
was able to meet and surpass them.  All in all, I'm very happy with effort.
Thanks to everyone who worked me and looking forward to passing QTC traffic in
next months WAE RTTY contest.

73, Don AA5AU