[3830] CQWW SSB KL7Y M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KL7Y M/M HP
From: kl7y@alaska.net (kl7y@alaska.net)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 01:48:30 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KL7Y
Operator(s): KL7Y,KL9A,KL2A,WL7E,KL7FH,K9PG,WA2GO,AL7PJ,KL7CC,AL1G
Station: KL7Y

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Alaska
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:     49      7      7
   80:    409     16     20
   40:    974     31     76
   20:   2926     38    150
   15:   4295     38    158
   10:   4032     39    151
-------------------------------
Total:  12685    169    562  =  22,200,178

Club/Team:

Comments:

Congrats to KL9A for a first hour of 390 Qs on 10m, followed by 340 Qs in the
2nd hour.  Awesome!

Every year we complain about the aurora and no propagation to Europe on 10.
Finally, we got some propagation on 10 and worked 1152 Europeans on 10. Yes!
Yes! Yes!

We still had aurora, though. Had a bit in the middle of the first 24 hours,
then another dip early in the second day.  This completely wiped out the low
bands.  40 had 925 Qs the first day, 49 the second.  80 had 399 the first day
and only 10 the second.  160 had ZERO Qs the second day.  Virtually all of the
low band Qs on the second day were made early in the period.  The high bands
hung in until about 11Z, then faded fast.  One hour had a grand total of 4 Qs,
kind of stinky for 6 transmitters.  If only the contest had been a day or two
earlier....

Fortunately, we had some times with real good propagation and monster pileups.
Plus several instances of unusual propagtion, severe multipathing, echoes,
skewed paths and bad flutter that made things very interesting even when the
piles had thinned.

Ran with 4 Mark Vs and 2 FT-1000MPs.  Very Nice. The 75 watt class A button on
the Mark V was just about perfect for driving amps through a pair of bandpass
filters. Everything played great, the lone problem was the Orion rotator on the
40 m beam, but once the aurora shut down 40, the rotator problem did not
matter.

Thanks to Black Hole escapee K9PG for his visit, as well as a good job by all
the regulars. As op WA2GO remarked, "Way to go!"