[3830] CQWW CW XT2DX M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW XT2DX M/M HP
From: kc7v@arrl.net (kc7v@arrl.net)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:29:19 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: XT2DX
Operator(s): G3SXW, G3XTT, G4BWP, G4IFB, G4PIQ, KC7V
Station: XT2DX

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Burkina Faso
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:    167     12     44
   80:    589     23     76
   40:   2061     35    119
   20:   4341     40    147
   15:   4601     38    150
   10:   4210     39    146
-------------------------------
Total:  15969    187    682  =  41,375,697

Club/Team:

Comments:

The Voodoo Contest Group had a terrific time in the CQWWCW test.  We lost Bob,
G3PJT, at the last moment due to Air Burkina cancelling one of his flights.
Bob was installed as the new President of the RSGB at the end of the contest
week so he had limited time available.

This contest effort took place from a 4-story hotel in downtown Ouagadougou
with 6 operators.  We had yagis up 65 to 75 feet for 10-40m on the roof and had
to put the 160m vertical and 80m vertical dipole on the ground between two 50
foot buildings (blocking the north path of course).  We installed sloping
dipoles for 80/160 as well.  We jury rigged a beverage but it just did not work
in the space we had to use.

The lift (elevator) caused tremendous QRM on several bands every time a hotel
guest used it.  We coped as best we could with the noise.  The pileups were
endless and huge the entire weekend making it very difficult at times to
sustain high rates but the thrill of running the piles was worth it!

Andy, G4PIQ, worked his magic by fixing a 930 in time for the contest so we had
6 rigs.  He also fixed a couple of amplifier problems.  We lost an Alpha to
some blown caps on Sunday but had a spare Ameritron (AL811) to use in its
place.

Low band conditions were the most difficult due to high QRN and no room for
good receiving antennas.  This trip included a one day 12 hour bus drive from
Accra to the XT border.  We spent the night in a real African hotel.  The next
day took several hours to cross the border (and some customs duty fees to pay)
and a 3 hour drive into Ouaga. We did not experience any problems to speak of
and the hotel and the local population were great.   Thanks to all the for
QSO's.  QSL via G3SXW.

Mike
KC7V
on behalf of the team