[3830] K8MR CW SS: Single Op, Multi Station

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K8MR CW SS: Single Op, Multi Station
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com (Jimk8mr@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:37:43 EST
One again I took to the road for CW SS.  I did only 5 stops this year vs. the
six in previous years, as K8RM has moved into a new house in a no-antenna
development.  I was also a bit less psyched up than in previous years, so I
got a bit more sleep and a bit less operating time.

Anyway, the results:

             N8TR    AC8E    K8MR    W8AJ    K8AZ    Overall

80          1       109 0       0       7       117
40          198 201 0       40      188 627
20          57      28      311 171 124 691
15          46      0       23      51      49      169
10          23      0       24      20      0       67

Total       325 338 358 282 368 1671

Mults       73      73      70      69      70      80

Score    47450  49348   50120   38916   51510   237,354

Time        5:00    4:31    4:29    3:51    4:22    22:13

Operator:  K8MR

Missed: WMA AR      NNY NNY VT
             SJV NM      DE      DE      NNY
             EWA SB      SC      MS      DE
             NL      ND      AR      SJV SC
             MAR NL      MS      WY      PAC
             QC      AB      EWA AK      AK
             VI      YT      MAR WV      SD
                             QC      NL      MAR
                             MB      MAR MB
                             YT      MB      YT
                                     YT

Club:  Mad River Radio Club

This year in Ohio I found there were no meters like 20 meters. There was much
short skip, and most of the time the rest of the country as well.  Signals
from W9 were booming, which with all the (I assume) SMC generated activity
made for fun.

The worst equipment failure was before the contest: I stopped at the local
McDonalds on the way to N8TR, and found their shake machine was broken, so I
left empty handed (and stomached).

The worst operator failure was at W8AJ's.  Alan and his family were at
parent's weekend at Indiana University, so he had given me keys to get in the
house and instructions on how to turn off the security system. Unfortunately
I screwed up on #2, thereby setting off the alarm.  I was able to shut if
off, but 15 minutes later there were two police officers in the hamshack
wondering what I was up to.  Fortunately my drivers license, the set of house
keys, and my explanation was enough for them to leave and me to stay there.

The second biggest problem was at K8AZ. I use NA at the other places, but at
AZ it would have required some work to get NA going, so we stuck with the
usual CT.  I thought I noticed a few funny sounding outgoing numbers before I
realized the CT quirk that the qso number does not increment if there is
nothing in the callsign field.  Therefore when I picked a call from the
pileup at the last instant, sent it manually, and then punched F2 to send the
exchange, it sent the previous qso's number.  Why CT does this makes no sense
to me, but I eventually got into the habit (if I had not typed the call) of
hitting any random key(s) before sending an exchange.  Do the log checkers
give any mercy for errors of +/- one in the qso number? (I understand that
they do in the Sprints.)

The third error, resulting in the stangest qso, was at N8TR. Somehow in
changing back after a second-radio qso, I also changed bands from 40 to 80. I
didn't notice this until after I had worked someone on 80 with everything
tuned up for 40.

It was another good weekend of contesting, and my annual effort to cure the
Sunday afternoon SS blues, certainly for myself and in some small way for
everyone else.  If only some of the others complaining would take up this
SOMS approach.

And thanks again to all my hosts, most who had to spend some significant time
reconfiguring their hamshacks for my once a year visit.

73  -  Jim  K8MR