[3830] ARRL SS CW K7RAT(N0AX) SO QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW K7RAT(N0AX) SO QRP
From: n0ax@arrl.net (n0ax@arrl.net)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 00:29:21 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: K7RAT
Operator(s): N0AX
Station: N6TR

Class: SO QRP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:     82
   40:     76
   20:    199
   15:    204
   10:    268
-------------------------------
Total:    829 x     80  =  132,640

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Tree, N6TR for the use of his FB station while he was tearing it
up at W5WMU.  Also thanks to his family and pets for making it easy for me.

Bands were really hot.  So hot that it was tough to find room to CQ, but there
was plenty of S&P action.  The big solar storm held off until the last minute,
making this quite a good SS to remember.  While the HP guys may be running out
of folks to work, that hasn't been a problem in QRP category yet.

Congrats to W4PA on his great score.  Comparing our breakdowns, there can
hardly be a clearer indication of how different the contest is between East and
West.  My 80-10 breakdown looks like Scott's backward!  40 was just so busy
that without the HP, it was easier pickin's on 20.  If this had been NAQP, I
would really have been toast on 40.  Tree's 80-meter vertical with its new
layer of radials was really great, as well.  Between 0900 and 1000Z, my CQ's
were answered by several East Coast stations on 80-meters.  Fabulous!
Especially considering the level of the solar flux and the potential for poor
80-meter conditions.  Now, if I could just get about 200 more CA ops on with
low dipoles on 80, I'd be in Fat City.

Equipment was an FT-1000MP and TS-850, powered by TR-LOG in SO2R mode.  The
amps in the shack were only used to hold cats and empty dishes.  Skywires
include the afore-mentioned 80-meter vertical (Rohn 45 with VHF beams on it), a
3-element 40-meter yagi at 105', 40-meter quad, 40-meter sloper (the beam was
always the best by at least an S-unit), 4-el 20 at 80', 5-el 15 at 72', and 2
5-el 10 at 70' (on different towers).

Nice to push the NW Division record up a good, solid notch and I look forward
to another coffee cup in the shack!

73, Ward N0AX@K7RAT