[3830] CQWW SSB KG0US M/S LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KG0US M/S LP
From: kg0us@swbell.net (kg0us@swbell.net)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 22:30:58 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KG0US
Operator(s): KG0UT, KB0VVT
Station: KG0US

Class: M/S LP
QTH: 04
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:      3      3      2
   80:     30     10     22
   40:     29     14     22
   20:    154     25     74
   15:    239     28     99
   10:    459     33    118
-------------------------------
Total:    914    113    337  =  1,161,000

Club/Team: RAYTOWN MO ARC

Comments:

My wife, Barbara, KG0UT, my thirteen year old daughter, Rebecca, KB0VVT, and I,
KG0US, did our first Multi-Single effort this year from our home located near
Kansas City, MO. As always, we operated in the low power mode for the contest.

The decision was made to run both the TS-850 and the IC-775DSP.  An order was
placed in early October for two Dunestar filters and, as promised by Ron, they
were received a few days before the contest. Band decoder circuits were built
for both the radios.  For the TS-850, a deviation of the design found at
http://www.qsl.net/k0bx/ was used.  The
IC-775DSP band decoder is a deviation of the Top Ten Devices circuit shown at
http://www.qth.com/topten/bd-iman.htm.

Last year we installed a 40 foot Universal Tower along with a KLM KT34A
tri-band beam.  A 40/80 meter Hygain doublet was also installed as an inverted
"V" with the apex on the tower and the ends about 8 to 10 feet above the
ground.  Last year the DX results on 80 meters were very disappointing.

We decided to replace the Hygain doublet and put an Alpha Delta DX-A twin
sloper into action.  This antenna has coverage on 40, 80, and 160 meters.  I
have a small 100 foot by 100 foot city lot so there is not much to work with.
Steve Lufcy, K0OU, came over more than once to help me get the sloper working.
The 40/160 side of antenna with the iso-coil tuned very well.  However, we
could never get the 80 meter side, which is just a wire, to tune at all without
an antenna tuner.  The R7 vertical was put up for the multiplier station
antenna.  Some multiplier station with a low power rig and R7 vertical 10 feet
off the ground ?. Hi Hi!  The run stations beam was borrowed on more than one
occasion during the contest to work a multiplier.  It was not much of a problem
since the multiplier station was not used very much.  I think 100 QSOs were
made on the multiplier station.  All the things described above were done a few
weeks before the contest.  This was the first time we ever ran two radios or
networked two computers together.  It only happened because of the work of
Steve, Barbara, Rebecca, and myself.  Thank you guys and gals.  I should also
thank Dick Binney, my friend from work, who loaned us a computer and a USB
network card for my computer and then set the whole network up for me.

I started the contest on Friday night as Barb took Rebecca to a church
costume/lock-in.  We are presently using Writelog and I discovered that it was
not keying the PTT on the radio.  I had previously recorded all the exchange
stuff for the girls and myself.  I remembered a few hours into the contest that
I needed to hook up the LPT patch cord instead of using the COM port as I
normally use when doing RTTY.  Barb worked a few multipliers on Friday night
then went to bed early (11 pm) so she could relieve me at 3 am and I could get
4 hours of sleep.  How many of your wives would do that?  She even solders,
climbs roofs, and helps tune antennas.  Pretty Cool!  I started working the run
station at around 7 am on Saturday while Barb went to pick up Rebecca at
church.  Unfortunately,  we found out that Rebecca decided to stay awake all
night at the party.  She only worked about 4 hours of the contest since she was
so tired.  I was hoping that she would be available to provide more relief for
her mother.  I stayed up again until 3 am Sunday morning when Barb once again
relieved me for 4 hours of sleep.  Sunday morning I operated the run station
while Barb and Rebecca went to church.  Barb teaches Sunday school at the local
church.  Afterwards,  Barb helped me on the contest when she could while
Rebecca did her school homework.

During the contest,  we were not getting that good of propagation to Europe on
40 meters.  On Sunday, the 10 meter band was pretty dead from our QTH to South
America until about two hours before the end of the contest.  Then South
America exploded with QSOs especially stations from Argentina.

This was quite an experience.

Best Regards,

Dave, Barb and Rebecca Rich