[3830] CQWW CW W0AH SOAB(A) HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W0AH SOAB(A) HP
From: W0AH@AOL.COM (W0AH@AOL.COM)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:31:00 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W0AH
Operator(s): W0AH
Station: W0AH

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:     13      8     11
   80:
   40:      5      5      5
   20:      5      4      5
   15:     89     21     30
   10:      8      6      8
-------------------------------
Total:    120     44     59  =  34,608

Club/Team: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

It was not to be.  The newly erected 5 el 15M monobander was to have had a good
workout (so was the 61 year old op).  In two weeks of comparing, the 15M
monobander was often a full S-unit better than the trusty old (lower by 8')
KT34XA, so I thought I might not only be competitive operating 15M SO LP, but
also get a couple of good nights sleep!  As it turned out, I slept (or at least
was in bed) for 30 hours of the 48 hour contest, 22 hours in a row after
quitting only 90 minutes after the start, because all systems started to fail
and CW sounded (felt) like a dentist drilling.  And that first hour I really
had thought I was on a roll! In the October CQWW Phone, I wasn't able to run
squat LP, but I had a JA pileup that first hour with JX8DFA and JW5E also
calling me.  A little S&Ping had also produced 3W2FM. I don't think I even
worked those countries in the CQWW Phone when I had over 1200 contacts.
Fastforeward. After 22 hours in bed, no food, and feeling terrible- especially
until I finally was able to throw up Saturday morning- I got up and went to the
shack Saturday evening.  I put the amp on and worked 3 South Americans on 160M
to complete my seasonal 160M WAC.  Also that evening, and Sunday, I turned on
DX Monitor and worked a few new QRO and QRP band-countries.  It was fun working
new one, XT2DX on 4 bands, including QRP on 10M.  New QRP band-countries were
9M6MA and EA6IB on 40M, 3V8BB and GJ2A on 20M, FR5FD on 15M and 10M, and BA4ED
and 5R8HD on 10M.  Conditions seened pretty good Sunday.
CU for the 160M and 10M tests in December.
Doug  W0AH  in cold, snowy central Colorado