[3830] CQWW CW OG1F(OH1MDR) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OG1F(OH1MDR) SOAB HP
From: oh1mdr@sral.fi (oh1mdr@sral.fi)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 08:01:19 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OG1F
Operator(s): OH1MDR
Station: OH1AF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Pori
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

  160:     76      5     32
   80:    200      7     43
   40:    555     28     80
   20:    867     31     88
   15:    696     36    102
   10:    467     29     86
-------------------------------
Total:   2861    136    431  =  3,127,572

Club/Team: CCF

Comments:

My main target was to improve my last year's score 4.1M and practise a little
bit more SO2R operation. There were major solar flares before the contest and
it was predictable that the conditions will go down.

In the beginning the rates were rather good and the score development was about
the same as last year despite there was aurora already. The first "shock" came
in saturday morning, 160-40 meters were dead to DX (=no special low band mults)
and 10/15m were also in bad shape.

Worked EU the most of saturday and in the afternoon there was 1-2 hour
blackout. In the evening the bands improved a little. I even could work W4OX on
10m, W3LPL and a handful of other east coast big guns on 15! In the evening
JH5FXP finally answered me on 40 meters!

The technical problems started in the night. FT-1000MP's RX became deaf when
working V26B on 40m. When I realized it really IS broken I started to
re-arrange the station. I installed TS-850 as the main rig and spare TS-450 as
second rig. Fortunately I had some spare cables and got SO2R working also with
this setup.

The conditions seemed to be better to the west now but I don't know why I
didn't hear any Caribbean mults on 80m. (OG1MM worked many just 30km from my
QTH). Something was broken in 160m higher dipole, SWR was high and the signals
low.

The Sunday seemed to be much better day than Saturday. Anyway running on 10/15m
was still quite slow. At 1130Z the second amplifier produced a big BANG (like a
pistol) and died. In the afternoon I had high but short USA runs on 10/15/20m
and tried to work more mpls with 100W second radio.

Congrats to my next year's WRTC teammate Pasi, OG1MM! He beat me with a good
marginal.

Some pluses and minuses:
+SO2R operation, SO2R operation went better that before. I worked a lot of 2nd
radio multipliers.
+Writelog, I needed to re-boot Windows only twice. And that was RF that killed
the mouse.

-equipment failures: FT-1000MP, linear and 160m inv-vee
-geomagnetic storm on saturday
-mouse problem... I trapped 3 mouses before the contest and couple of more were
killed due lack of food.