[3830] ARRL10 W4ZW(W4ZW & 7TH GRADERS) SO Mixed HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 W4ZW(W4ZW & 7TH GRADERS) SO Mixed HP
From: w4zw@arrl.net (w4zw@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:54:30 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W4ZW
Operator(s): W4ZW & 7TH GRADERS
Station: W4ZW

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 13:38

   CW:    704     61
  SSB:    162     45
----------------------
Total:    866    106  =  618,580

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

WOW!  As K4OJ says, "there's no meters like 10 meters!"

Set up for Multi single with some the 7th graders from school as ops. Finished
putting up the beams on Friday afternoon and just couldn't get anything going
Friday night.  Started with the kids on SSB Saturday morning and the band was
wall to wall, stacked three deep with Europeans.  After the kids complained
about the confusion, took them to 15SSB for a couple of hours of arm chair
DXing and then back into the fray.  Thanks to the contesters who took the time
to encourage the kids and ask names, etc.

I had my best rates late in the contest when I didn't have six callers all over
S9 calling at the same time in a very small hole I found at 28010.  Stayed
there for a long time with the rate meter hovering around 140.  Decided to
maximize the score for the club so when the runs got slow, switched to SSB,
dialed up the spotting node and started chasing mults.

Worked lots of FCGers!  Tks to K4XS for the SSB FL mult as the contest was
ending! Missed AR, DE, HI, and SC on both modes.  Also NS, LB, and YT.

Jon, W4ZW