[3830] ARRL160 ZF2NT SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL160 ZF2NT SO HP
From: zf2nt@candw.ky (zf2nt@candw.ky)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 08:12:37 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: ZF2NT
Operator(s): ZF2NT
Station: ZF2NT

Class: SO HP
QTH: LCM
Operating Time (hrs): ?

Total:     662     73       73      =  96,652

Club/Team: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Not sure what the breakdown in my mult total is between sections and countries;
I all I know from the summary sheet is that the mult total was 73.

Apologies to all for being so deaf.  I've seen lots of comments from people
about how quiet the band conditions were.  Were we in the same contest?  The
QRN down here was terrible...constant static crashes.  And once you get past
the contesters in this one, you get to the 160m DXers.  They think the idea is
to send r-e-a-l slowly, because ON4UN told them to do so.  It's a matter of
religion.  So the more trouble I had getting their call, the more they slowed
down...thereby guaranteeing that a static crash would wipe out their call.
This is one of the reasons I normally avoid 160.  It's all about religion, and
I don't have it.  For my money, give me your call 3 times at 37 wpm and I'll
have no trouble.  Slow down to 20wpm and I will never ever get it.

But despite the QRN problems, the hard part came when I tried to submit the log
to the ARRL.  What grief!  First I get back messages saying I don't have write
permission to some folder on the robot.  Then it tells me to add a line to my
TR Post-generated Cabrillo log which says "ARRL SECTION:  DX".  Now, I don't
know what DX is, but I know it isn't me and I don't ever want to be DX.  All
the DX guys do is fight with each other, and I sure don't want to join that
crowd.  Consequently I never ever answer a call that says "CQ DX".  But just to
make the ARRL happy, I added this line and resubmitted the log.  Then I got
another message saying I still didn't have write permission, and also
complaining about several line entries in the file.  At that point, I sent N1ND
email and said, "Here it is...take it or leave it.  Enough."  Later I got a
very kind note from Trey saying the robot actually did accept it.  Like I
should be glad?  I also got a note from N1ND saying I should keep on trying,
and eventually I might be able to make him happy.  So I say...who needs the
contest branch?  I never read QST anyway (don't even get it here on Little
Cayman).