[3830] CQWW CW CE4U(CE4USW) SOSB/20 LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CE4U(CE4USW) SOSB/20 LP
From: ce4u@qsl.net (ce4u@qsl.net)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:43:41 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CE4U
Operator(s): CE4USW
Station: CE4USW

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: Talca, Chile
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   1305     31     84
   15:
   10:
-------------------------------
Total:   1305     31     84  =  436,195

Club/Team: Southern Cross DX Group - SCDXG

Comments:

Equipment Description: Cushcraft A3 @ 21m high
                       TS-430S HF Transceiver Kenwood
                       PS-50 Power Supply Kenwood
                       Homemade CW interfase working in LPT1
                       MFJ-557 manual key
                       MDR CD450 Phones Sony
                       PC Pentium II
                       CT 9.67 logger running under WinME

Comments: I decided a Single Band operation due to the lack of time for adjus-
          ting all three monobanders to the CW segments mainly, and because of
          having not much CW experience in contests as well. This was my first
          CQWW CW ever. I had been active only in ARRL DX CW 1999 & 2001 and
          CQWPX CW 2001 before, never made more than 500 QSO each. This time,
          I wanted to try a little better.

          Unfortunately, SWR level was high: 2.1:1 around 14.060 KHz in 3 el
          monoband antenna, so I tried the Cushcraft A3 tribander @ 21m high
          at home (monobanders are located in country-side QTH). Unexpectedly,
          SWR was 1.2:1 in 14.050 KHz without any adjustment! Lucky me!

          Well, in the beginning of the Contest, I was a bit nervous about the
          intensity of it since I had always heard with regard to the big
number
          of people participating, and having in mind my low speed in CW: 25-30
          wpm. (I guess I will reach 40 some day hi).

          Initial goal was to surpass 600 QSO. Many W & VE stations in first 2
          hours and a few EU, SA & JA. From 0300z, EU & OC signals were getting
          louder but always a lot of NA stations. At 0600z, the band was open
          everywhere: KL9A, CX9AU, JA's, HL's, EM1HO, W's, XE, VE's, KH6, BA,
          etc. One hour later and on, I logged JA stations mostly.

          I went to a friend's birthday party in Saturday afternoon, so I could
          only be active again at 2150z: good signals from EU working 2 QSO/min
          for about two hours (best rate was 3 QSO/min). Like the start, lots
          of NA stations from 0030z on. From 0600z, new mults called me, having
          a nice OC opening: NHØ, AH2, KH6's, DU's, VK's, V7, BV, 4W, 9M8, 9V,
          3W, VR; 9H, A45 as well. I went to sleep at 1345z and 1290 stations
          were logged. Goal accomplished. JJ6WYS: 5 minutes trying to QSO and
          finally got it! Tnx!

          I woke up at 1845z and the band was open only about 1940z in Chile.
          Nice signals from AF & EU during the afternoon for more new mults:
          ER, 5H, 3V, XT, OZ, ZD9 in less than 1 hour. A little later, MZ5, V4,
          ZP, KP3, VU2, PB6X called me, passing 400K points.

          This was a personal success because I finished at 30 wpm, doubled my
          initial goal and this is a new CE record (I've checked past results).
          On the other hand, electricity was cut off many times both days at
          home and all the neighborhood: 0154z-0159z, 0246z-0254z, 0437z-0452z,
          0539z-0556z, 0726z-0733z, 2342z-2349z on Saturday; 0105z-0110z, 0428z
          -0434z, 0759z-0812z, 0819z-0826z, 0829z-0834z, 0935z-0940z, 1038z-
          1048z, etc. on Sunday. This was quite annoying but, luckily, the rig
          didn't pass away and I've got a UPS connected to my PC.

          Many thanks to all the stations that called me and, specially, for
          their patience.  --I appreciate every QSO very very much--
          Merry Xmas and Happy 2002 to all of you. 73 es DX de CE4U.

                            Continent Statistics

CE4U  CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST   Single Operator   25 Nov 2001  2359z

                    160   80   40   20   15   10  ALL   percent
North America   CW    0    0    0  656    0    0  656    50.3
South America   CW    0    0    0   35    0    0   35     2.7
Europe          CW    0    0    0  312    0    0  312    23.9
Asia            CW    0    0    0  281    0    0  281    21.5
Africa          CW    0    0    0    5    0    0    5     0.4
Oceania         CW    0    0    0   16    0    0   16     1.2

Name:           Juan Pablo Mardones         Call:  CE4USW (contest call CE4U)
Occupation:     University student          Age:   22
Web:            http://www.qsl.net/ce4u (under construction)