[3830] ARRL VHF Sweep VE2ZP Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL VHF Sweep VE2ZP Single Op LP
From: VE2ZP@rac.ca (VE2ZP@rac.ca)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:04:28 -0500 (EST)

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------
Total:    110     51  =  6,834

Club/Team: Ontario VHF Association

Comments:

Notwithstanding the lousy conditions, tripling my score from last January for a
personal, if anaemic, best.

Six metres provided a few surprises:
- No Europe, save for TF3AX, whom I did not work;
- Surprisingly strong backscatter signals Sunday morning;
- A very brief, very weak Es opening (I think) to KAØKKO in EM58;
- A poor opening to W6 Sunday afternoon.

Two metres, 1.25m and 70cm provided less inspiring surprises in the form of
some sort of absorbtion phenomenon that made relatively short paths of
200-400km quite difficult to work.

There was a lot of time when I could not hear any signals at all on any bands.

As usual, very few W1s, W2s and W3s would turn their beams north, in what I can
only infer to be a foolish assumption that there was no one to work in this
direction.  One W2 multi-op in particular could not turn their side-mounted
222MHz antenna this way and missed out on what could have been several easy
QSOs with several callers in a couple of grids.

My best DX on each of the bands were as follows:
50MHz - KJ6CA in CM98 est. 3,800km
144MHz - either AA2UK or K3YTL in equally-distant FM19 and FM29 est. 640km
222MHz - either K2AXX or N2PA in FN12 est. 350km
432MHz - either K2AXX or N2PA in FN12 est. 350km

Thanks to Ken VA3KA and Rick VE3CVG for providing local competition and helping
to keep up my interest during far too many far too quiet hours.