[3830] CQ160 CW W3DQ Multi-Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W3DQ Multi-Op HP
From: wd3q@erols.com (wd3q@erols.com)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 00:18:27 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): N3OC, W3DQ
Station: W3DQ

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: DC
Operating Time (hrs): 18

QSOs: 412  States/Provinces: 46  Countries: 7  Score: 57,130

Comments:

What A Blast!

  After a brief but enjoyable outing in 2000, I realized it was time to try 160
again from my small (by 160 standards) 40 x 140 DC lot.
  N3OC again came to the rescue with his antenna box of tricks which (thanks to
my heavy work schedule) we didn't get to install until the Friday before the
contest. As always seems to happen, my planned/scheduled day off instead kept
me on the phone with the office for most of the time Brian was at my house.  So
he did 90% of the antenna work.
  We had two EWE's for rcv:  one running E/W and the other NNE/SSW.  The E/W
had a 'ZJ preamp/filter, while the NNE/SSW one had an ICE preamp/filter inside
the shack after I blew up Brian's other ZJ box :-(    Both antennas played
especially well, IMHO the E-W version more than the other one.  Both received
better than the TX antenna, which was a shortened vertical on a fiberglass pole
with two elevated radials.
  We were surprised that the band was very quiet... we heard *lots* more than
we worked, which was pretty amazing!
  Some observations:
  1. At a recent PVRC meeting, W3ZZ made the comment that the key to doing well
and having a good score is directly related to the amount of time in the chair.
 How true. I couldn't start until 10-ish Friday night, only to find out that
4U1WB had been on from DC and 'scooped' us.  If I had started on time I think
the score would have been much higher.
  2. I need to practice my CW skills *before* the contest. Sorry about all the
goofed up calls and exchanges. The *woosh* of people calling after being
spotted can be awfully intimidating for an op like me!  And forgive for not
responding to or sending a "?" when you sent me other than the exchange. My
brain simply wasn't programmed for anything else!
  Watching N3OC operate (and he was on a lot!) was a lesson in itself. Brian is
a very good operator, especially in this situation where he'd never before used
the station, a good teacher, and when I was operating, a great coach and
cheerleader.  This is what ham radio in general and contesting in particular is
all about.  Without his help -- his work, actually -- we'd never have gotten
on.
  Again -- I had a blast! I'm going to make the EWE's permanent, and maybe add
another facing south (never did work any SA stations).

Statistics:
 Station: Ten Tec Omni 6+, Hercules II amp (500 w)
 Antennas:  (RX) N/W, NNE/SSW EWE's, (TX) shortened 30 ft vertical w/ 2 radials

States Missed:  (heard but not wkd) LA, NM, NV, WY; (never hrd) ID, ND, SD
Provinces Missed:  most!