[3830] CQ160 CW OH6XX Multi-Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW OH6XX Multi-Op HP
From: oh6xx@sral.fi (oh6xx@sral.fi)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:10:17 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: OH6XX
Operator(s): OH6XX;EX-OH6NU
Station:

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 32

QSOs: 572  States/Provinces: 1  Countries: 52  Score: 158,894

Comments:

Ant: 1/4 wave vertical with 16 elevated radials
Rig: FT-1000MP + TL922

Yet another field day style CQ 160m CW contest is behind us. This time we
really had to work hard to get all the stuff to the ski jumping hill we have
been using for the past four years. It had been snowing for a lot and we had to
use two snow mobiles to get up to the hill. We packed all our stuff to big
plastic bags and put them to a sleight. It took us 3 hours to get all the
wires, computers, rig and amplifier up the hill. Normally all of this takes
about 15 minutes as there is a road up the hill but that was blocked by the
snow.

We got down from the hill as I had to stop by in work for an hour or so. After
I got from work I picked up Timo from his place and we headed back to hill. We
bought only as much beer and food that we would survive till Saturday as OH6MSZ
had promised to re-supply us when we ran out them, we didn't want to take too
much at the time as we had to use those snow mobiles. Eventhough we bought the
minimum we had to run another three times up the skiing slope.

When we finally got up the hill we started putting up the 1/4 wave vertical. We
worked for 5,5 hours in the snow that was up to waist in many places. We were
able to elevate two radials that time as we were beat up by the weather
conditions. I have never seen so much snow here in Jyväskylä. Last year it took
us 2 hours to get the vertical up and all the 16 radials elevated. This time we
decided to get those radials up on Saturday during the daylight hours. We got
the antenna up at 21Z on friday just one hour before the start of the contest.
We measured SWR and antenna seemed to be long and be outside we went. We
shortened the antenna three feet or so. Back in and another measurement ... The
SWR curve went nuts. We connected a Bird-meter into the line and we noticed
that the meter we used before was broken. Well anyway now we had an antenna
with resonance a bit too high because of about 3 feet too short vertical :)

During contest VY2ZMM was the only NA station worked who was hearable for all
1st night and most of the second. We called W2GD on the Sunday morning for a
long time but couldn't even get "QRZ?". Also heard very faint W8JI and W1FJ.
Only Caribbean station worked was V47KP and from SA almost worked ZX5J who
copied our call incorrectly and eventhough we tried to correct the callsign he
just gave "TU TU OH6XC". From Europe we couldn't work at least HB0(who was out
of our band) and ZC4(couldn't get through the pile).

The conditions weren't the best from our point of view but still we had good
time. I had installed new 250Hz Inrad's before the contest and they were great.

Juha OH6XX