[3830] BARTG Sprint VA3XRZ Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] BARTG Sprint VA3XRZ Single Op LP
From: va3xrz@rac.ca (va3xrz@rac.ca)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:24:57 -0500 (EST)
                     BARTG RTTY Sprint

Call: VA3XRZ
Operator(s): VA3XRZ
Station: VA3XRZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Ballinafad
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:      0      0
   40:      0      0
   20:     32     32
   15:     84     84
   10:     57     57    Mults  Continents
Total:    173    173      47       6  =  48,786

Club/Team:

Comments:

Yet another painful contest experience for me with low score despite all the
hours I put in. I am starting to suspect there is something wrong with my
settings apart from my antennas being too close to the ground.

MMTTY runs very slow on my 486 and I did not want to borrow the family
Pentium so I decided to use a laptop (PII-366 borrowed from work). After
tweaking the sampling rate a bit I managed to have it running very smoothly
and with the macros the way I like them, this until the battery died and I
had to plug in its switching power supply... S9+10dB! on 40m throughout the
entire band and S7-S8 on 20m and 10m. To make my life even more difficult
the laptop battery that is supposed to run for about three hours between
charges lasts not more than forty minutes or so.

Anyway, I managed to beat my last years score, number of QSOs and
multipliers by a little bit. Not too bad considering that this year I
operated only three bands (40, 20, 10 with wire dipoles) as opposed to four
in 2001 (40, 20, 15, 10 with an R5). I tried to use the 40m dipole on 15m
but the SWR is way too high... weird back in the eighties I worked more than
100 countries on 15m with a 40m VEE but what I now have is a dipole not a
VEE, looks like that makes a difference.

I missed tons of European multipliers, I could hear them working each other
but it was almost impossible to break through with my wire dipoles and low
power. I also missed VR2BG on Sunday morning, I called him for hours but my
sigs were, again, too weak to be copied.

An interesting thing is that in my 173 QSOs I received 127 exchanges that
were higher (usually much higher) than mine, and only 26 that were lower.

73,
Julio VA3XRZ