[3830] WPX SSB N1SNB SO(A)AB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB N1SNB SO(A)AB LP
From: n1snb@aol.com (n1snb@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 20:13:07 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: N1SNB
Operator(s): N1SNB
Station: N1SNB

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: New Hampshire
Operating Time (hrs): 32.5

------------
  160:    5
   80:   69
   40:  128
   20:  252
   15:  310
   10:  336
------------

Club:

Comments:

This is an all time best for me from home station, 1000 QSOs in a SSB contest is
unheard of for me! So some sort of story is called for....

I operated this contest from my home in Manchester, where I have a very limited
station and can only run about 100w before bringing havoc to the TVs and
telephones of the five houses within 50 yards of my backyard. ( I was very
tempted to turn the AL-1200 afterburner on in the middle of the night but
decided against it)I only had 2 TVI complaints...not bad!
In preperation for the contest I put up an 80 dipole and a tribander to
compliment my antenna farm. The 80m dipole was a waste, as I already have a
giant 80m vertical. I envisioned great 1point qso runs on 80m, but to no luck as
80m was not overly active. The tribander worked well, but with only 100 wa
tts and a rope rotar I was unable to get any runs going for more than a few
minutes. 100 watts really sucks on 40m SSB, but I would judge it to my
best band.  I was very pleased with the 95 EU QSOs on 40 plus A6, JA, KH7 and
VK
were all really exciting with a 33 foot vertical. 40m CW has also been my
favorite band, so in the name of conformity I extend 40 SSB the same
honor.
Saturday was very very rough in the morning and got off to a slow start. In the
morning EU couldnt hear me on 20 or 15 and I couldnt hear them on 10, condx
recovered though. I could hear many stations throughout the whole contest on 20m
who just could not hear me, which is ultra frustrating. High noise levels or bad
signal? both!
On Sunday, their was a great Oceania opening and I worked 4W, ZL, VK (6 of
them)and YB0 with a vertical antenna. The rest of Sunday was pretty non exciting
and was peppered with family events.

I enjoyed working so many friends and familiar calls, its what keeps me coming
back!

Yaesu FT-890
80m/Dipole+loaded 25' vert
40m/full quarterwave vert
20/15/10 tribander + verts

AL-1200 afterburner decommissioned and not on active duty.

I am pysched for WPX CW, hopefully with a full 38 hr effort and good conditions
I can reach the coveted 2000 QSO mark.

73 Jeff N1SNB