[3830] FY5KE ARRL DX SSB M/S

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] FY5KE ARRL DX SSB M/S
From: F5HRY@aol.com (F5HRY@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:59:52 EST
                ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 2002

      Call:      FY5KE
      Category:  Multi Single
      Power:     High Power
      Band:      All Band
      Mode:      SSB
      Country:   French Guiana

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS    STATES/PROV

      160       83      249          33
       80      425     1275          56
       40      494     1482          59
       20     1291     3873          60
       15     2431     7293          60
       10     2941     8823          60
     -----------------------------------

     Totals   7665    22995         328  =   7,542,360

Ops or inband listeners : F1HAR, F5MZN, F6FVY, FY5FU, FY5FY, F5HRY

Rig :

- TS850 + AL1500
- TS 870 inband
- TS 430 + AL811
- 160 m : sloping 4 sq
- 80 m : thursday night sloper (F5MZN/F6FVY congrats)
- 40 m : 2 el/wire @  22m
- 20 m : 2 el  @ 24m
- 15 m : 3 el quad @ 16m
- 10 m : 3 el quad @ 16m
- Bev 320m
- Bev 160 m

Comments :

Our firsts thoughts went to a M/2 operation. But the
aircraft would have definitly not taken all the stuff we
dreamed about ... Thus, a standard M/S was the hard
reality ! However, we tried to optimize the running
techniques, with at least 2 ops at the same time during
the whole contest, and it provided good results. We
surely enhanced the rates. As well,  this technique
helps for real time log checking.

Conditions were excellent on saturday, but poor on
sunday. On that second one, the higher bands began
to open very late, with deeply unstable signals, providing
low rates. We worked hard on the low bands during
the nights to purchase as many mults as possible (remember
FY is quite far away from NA, and 80+160 are noisy !).
We are pleased with the number of multipliers worked,
eventhough 61 seemed possible on the high bands (no
LAB wkd, NWT and NU kept for dreams). Thanks to
VY1MB for YT.

Last, but not least seen from FY, the high SFI favored the
E-W axis (as it did during the CQWW SSB), and our signal
was probably too marginal for the side lobes of the NA
beams ... We'll have to wait for 3 or 4 years to be more
competitive (but never as the northen Caraibian will, definitly !).

We are still waiting for some unclaimed high raw scores in
the M/S category. We are thinking about VP5B and EA8BH,
maybe others. No idea ??

Next year, we will learn "american". It seems to be a good
choice : try to pronounce KG1JGW with no analogy when you were
not born in the deep middle west ...

73's

Herve F5HRY for the FY5KE contest group