[3830] WPX SSB WX5S(@W6YX) M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB WX5S(@W6YX) M/M HP
From: mikeh@webraska.com (mikeh@webraska.com)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:21:48 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: WX5S
Operator(s): W1SRD,WX5S,K6ENT,K6KLY,W6KNS,W6LD,W6OAT,K6UFO,N7MH,K0BEE
Station: W6YX

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Stanford, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:   28
   80:  328
   40:  478
   20: 1160
   15: 1279
   10: 1280
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
160: IC-756PRO, Alpha-78, inverted vee
80: IC-761, Alpha-76, inverted vee
40: FT1000MP Mark V, ACOM-2000, Pro67A, 402CD
20: FT1000MP Mark V, Alpha-78, 6 el KLM, 205CA, KT34XA
15: FT1000MP, Alpha-87A, 6 el Telrex, 155CA
10: IC-756PRO (shared w/160), Alpha-78, 6 el Telrex, 105CA
TR-Log 6.63, 2 WX0B Six-Paks, 1 StackMatch, ICE filters

This is the first all-out high-power multi-multi operation that we've attempted
from the current location of the W6YX club station (we did 5E in Field Day, but
that was low-power and low-key).

Putting together all the equipment was a big challenge.  We borrowed some of it
and managed to fix the Alpha-76 that sat on a shelf for several years.  Our 4
element KLM 40-meter antenna broke in a windstorm over CQWW weekend in November
and we haven't repaired it yet
(http://www-w6yx.stanford.edu/w6yx/w6yx.workparty.020303/P3030209a.jpg), so we
were stuck with two 2-element antennas on 40 that don't have rotators.
Amazingly, we worked almost everyone we heard on 40.  We hope to have the
4-element fixed by CW WPX.

I finally copied the callsign of 4X1IM who was calling us on 15 in our late
evening, only to have the band go out before we could exchange numbers.  Never
heard him again.

It was a big surprise to have worked more stations on 80 than 40 both nights.
We finally got the 40 meter Q count higher after Rusty, W6OAT, started reeling
in a bunch of locals during the day on Sunday.

-Mike, N7MH