[3830] FlQP VE7FO M/SMixed HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] FlQP VE7FO M/SMixed HP
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (jimsmith@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:42:31 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO, VE7CX
Station: VE7FO

Class: M/SMixed HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 9

   40:
   20:   44     1
   15:   16     2
   10:    2
--------------------
Total:   62     3  CW Mults = 37  Ph Mults = 3  Total Score = 5,080

Club:

Comments:

It has become evident to me that the world needs more contest ops.  To that end
I'm looking for contests with enough activity to keep a newbie interested (other
than the ones I go in myself) to enter as M/S and provide training, experience
and fun for new ops.  The relentless "spam" from K4OJ convinced me the FQP would
be a good one for this purpose.  Friday night I spent happily drawing lines on
Florida maps showing the itineraries of the various mobiles.  Having them
available on the web site was great.  As Fred, VE7CX, could only participate for
the last three hours on Sunday, I entered on my own for the last 7 hours on
Saturday.  Cndx didn't seem very good.  Ten was hopeless from VE7 and 15 wasn't
very good.  40 isn't open to W4 at all during the contest hours so missed out on
all that fun.  This leaves 20, which wasn't very good either but there were
contacts to be made, many of them quite weak and with QSB.  I restricted myself
to chasing mobiles and leaving the fixed stations for VE7CX to have available on
Sunday.  Everytime I worked a mobile I put a little blue circle on his line on
the map in the appropriate county.  It was fun watching them move along and
annoying when someone passed right through a county without me hearing them.
When are you mobiles gonna get GPS and 2m links so we can watch your progress on
the net?  Then again, it would take the fun out of trying to read the county
through the QRN and QSB

On Sunday, VE7CX arrived and, after a brief orientation to the station, he set
to work.  Cndx were a little better on 15 but the activity level seemed low.
Hardly any fixed stations to work so he did his best with the mobiles.  Tried
CQing with negligible result so all S&P.  16 Qs in 3 hours.  Not enough to get a
newbie's pulse racing.

In looking at previous FQP participation it appears that VE7 doesn't get into
many logs.  So, it was kind of fun as we moved up the band to hear VE7QO work
someone who probably thought, "Wow, a VE7" only to have us call and work him
next for 2 in a row.

So, for newbie training and fun it was kind of a bust from here.  However, I'm
blaming conditions and would certainly try it again next year.

Maybe for phone next year I'll say VOLUSIA ESCAMBIA 7 FLAGLER OSCEOLA.  Waddya
think, would it help people to get my call?

Thanks for the patience with the difficult contacts.

Mobile count
K4FCG-9  KN4Y-9  N4TO-9  N4BP-5  NF4A-3  W5WMU-3  NY4N-2  N4OO-1  W2JDH-1
W4YA-1

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO