[3830] WPX CW WX5S(@W6YX) M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WX5S(@W6YX) M/M HP
From: mikeh@webraska.com (mikeh@webraska.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:25:24 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WX5S
Operator(s): K0BEE,K6ENT,K6UFO,N6DE,N7MH,W1SRD,W6CT,W6LD,W7SW,WX5S
Station: W6YX

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:    6
   80:   97
   40:  570
   20: 1297
   15: 1206
   10:  369
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Transceivers and amps:
FT1000MP + Alpha 87A
FT1000MP + Alpha 78
FT1000MP Mark V + Alpha 78
FT1000MP Mark V + ACOM 2000A
TS-850 + Alpha 76
IC-761

Antennas:
160: Inverted Vee
80: Inverted Vee, Delta Loop
40: 402CD, Pro67A
20: 6 el KLM, 205CA
15: 6 el Telrex, 155CA
10: 6 el Telrex, 105CA
20/15/10: KT34XA

Misc:
WX0B StackMatch, 2xWX0B 6-Pak, 2xICE 419 filters, ICE 160-10 single-band
filters
TR-Log 6.67

We didn't quite have everything set up at the beginning of the contest which
caused us to start a few minutes late.  Very poor rates for the first hour
because of this.

We're still trying to replace our 4 element 40 meter yagi.  Having one 2-element
yagi fixed pointing east and another pointed toward Japan made it really hard to
work Europe.  We called UA2FB and 9A5E repeatedly on 40 and received a few ? or
W? responses but neither could copy our full call.

Several stations told us that we were a dupe and refused to work us again.  Some
of these are due to logging errors on our part but a few aren't.  Consider the
case where Station A and Station B are CQ'ing 100 Hz apart.  We answer Station
A, but Station B also thinks we're calling him and logs the Q when he hears our
exchange for Station A.  Station B is not in our log.  We advise our operators
to work all dupes that answer our CQ for this reason.  VA3UA and TU2CI are not
in our 15 meter log because they wouldn't work us again.

15 meters was open through most of the night here.  It would go dead for a while
and then be back strong an hour later.  There were stations to be worked on 20
for the entire contest.  It was just a matter of figuring the best direction to
point antennas.

The hardest part of this contest was finding CW operators to man the stations.
We had 2 or 3 stations on the air most of the time while the other band-stations
sat idle.  We're working on developing Kent, K6ENT, into a CW contester.  He
made most of our 97 Q's on 80 meters at about 13 WPM.  Look for Kent next year
on the higher bands at a faster CW speed!

-Mike, N7MH