[3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE2ZP Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE2ZP Single Op LP
From: ve2zp@rac.ca (ve2zp@rac.ca)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:41:43 -0700
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: VE2ZP
Operator(s): VE2ZP
Station: VE2ZP

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN25bj (nr Ottawa)
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Radios: SO2R

    6:   50    20
    2:   63    26
  222:   21    15
  432:   38    19
  903:
  1.2:    1     1
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  173    81  Total Score = 18,954

Club: Ontario VHF Association or Contest Club Ontario - unsure which

Comments:

Although I noticed no Es, no aurora, and only very minor tropo, there seemed to
be more activity and more people turning their beams this way than in the
previous VHF contests I've worked.  This helped me make a personal best score,
about 80% higher than last year.  VHF contests remain an exercise in frustration
here, because in the Ottawa area, we really are quite far from major centres of
population and VHF activity.  I still have yet to hear QRM or crowding in any
VHF contest.

My best DX on 50, 222 and 432MHz was N3EMF in FM19, about 660km away.  On 144, I
managed to work N2MO in FM39, about 700km away.  My contesting debut on 1296
proved I have some work to do: I worked only VE3NPC about 10km away, also in
FN25.

Earlier this year, I changed QTHes and have only a temporary lash-up.  My 6m and
2m antennas were up 88-90ft at my old location, but but here, they're up only
20-25ft.  I think the ground elevation may be a bit higher.  I got the feeling
that I was able to work more stations here than at the old place.

My rig is a Yaesu FT-736R on 50, 144, 222 and 432, with 150w and 170w amps on 6
and 2, respectively.  On 222 and 432, I ran all of 30w.  On 1296, I used a
ancient KLM Multi-2000 2m all-mode rig to a Micrwave Modules transverter running
1w.  For antennas, I had a 3el yagi on 6m, and 14el yagi on 2m, a 12el quagi on
222, an 11el yagi for 432 and a rotatable rhombic on 1296.