[3830] Salmon Run VE7FO SOMixed LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Salmon Run VE7FO SOMixed LP
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (jimsmith@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:41:02 -0700
                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: SOMixed LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 3

  160:
   80:    0     10
   40:    2     20
   20:   11      2
   15:    4      0
   10:    4      2
    6:
--------------------
Total:   21     34  Mults = 19  Total Score = 3,888

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

A limited effort due to other committments.  I've been entering various state
parties to get a feel for which ones are suitable for contester training from my
QTH.  (I have determined that my mission in life is to increase the number of
contesters.)  All the ones I've been in so far were too far away for any action
on 40 or 80, so I was looking forward to this one where I could rack up points
on the low bands.  What I forgot is that 20, 15 and 10 are going to be tough
from here.  However, did make 1000 pts on 10 by working W7DX both modes.  Not a
lot of activity on 40/80.  (37 solid Qs on 40/75 vs 27 via scatter on 20/15/10.)
 I guess the in-state multiplier structure mitigates against a lot of activity
on the low bands.  So be it.

One of the committments was that my sister was in town from VE2land.  She
understands competition, being a competitive swimmer with many records, but
doesn't know anything about ham radio.  So, I thought I would get her into the
shack, make a bunch of Qs and ease her into doing the Qs while I did the
logging, i.e. a multi-single.  Hah.  After 15 min of desparate tuning, I finally
heard and worked W7QN.  In the meantime she was saying that the static was
hurting her ears.  When I turned to her in triumph, having logged the Q, she
said, "This is really boring.  Shouldn't we go upstairs and stop ignoring your
wife?"  Sigh.  I tried to make analogies with fishing and other such exercises
in patience but they fell on deaf ears.  We went upstairs.

Another committment was a lot more fun from a ham radio point of view.  Last
year's SR Eu champion, Zoli, HA1AG, was in Vancouver for a conference so a few
of us locals got together with him for some 807s on Saturday night.  I was
trying to think of a way of running a multi-single from the bar but don't have
what it would take.  Just imagine, 4 hams, contesters all, hunched over a laptop
and an IC-706, surrounded by beer and causing the rovers to drive off the road
as they are answered on 40 or 75 by, "HA1AG uhhh.. portable VE7".

Zoli's description of getting last year's smoked salmon prize through customs
was pretty funny.  His description of the comments when he brought the salmon to
the local contest club, whose members had never before seen pink salmon, were
also pretty entertaining.

Summary.  Don't think this one generates enough rate to get Vancouver contesting
first-timers pulse racing.  It was fun, though.  Thanks to those who had the
patience for the scatter Qs.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO