[3830] CQ/RJ WW RTTY NI6T SOAB(A) HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ/RJ WW RTTY NI6T SOAB(A) HP
From: rtty@ni6t.com (rtty@ni6t.com)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:07:16 -0700
                    CQ/RJ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: NI6T
Operator(s): NI6T
Station: NI6T

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

   80:   22    26       20       3     4
   40:   63   115       27      21    11
   20:  244   516       38      47    19
   15:  329   785       45      58    27
   10:  238   548       35      49    22
Total:  896  1990      165     178    83  Total Score = 847,740

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I only intended to operate a few hours this year, and to cherry-pick some
RTTY DX I knew would be QRV, but I kinda got caught up in it, and put in
23.5 hours! AS you all know, once the adrenalin starts flowing, the world
falls away, yielding to the Zen of contesting.

I reluctantly used Telnet, as I did not want to miss the KH0 that was on,
but, otherwise, it was useless.

I purchased WriteLog a year ago specifically to do RTTY contests, but had
yet to do one, dreading that learning curve. I more-or-less got my stuff
together in the last 24 hours, and of course had to do some readjustments
along the way, as the screen setup was driving me crazy, and numbing out my
mouse hand. The fellows on the WL Reflector, including our own Eric, K6EP,
were a big help. Now that I have been blooded, I will refine the setup.

I have an intermittent problem in the 17/15m section of my F12 DXer that was
a PITA on 15--I could not apply power to the antenna until it stopped
moving. The tree climber will be here in a week. I also discovered that my
87A does not like the high RTTY duty cycle on ten meters, and, when it got
hot, something kept poppin. I had to back off to half-power to keep it from
tripping. Brick-on-the-key, my butt. I also was remembering how we melted a
matching network on an R7 at 3B9R with 1500W, and backed off on my R5
secondary antenna, as well.

Had great JA runs on 10 (Friday) and 15 (Saturday), but domestic chores kept
me QRT Saturday morning, which was not a good thing. Activity was generally
pretty good, but there were almost no Africans, save EA8 and EA9, few VK's
(I did not get any) and the last cuppla hours were slower than Sunday
morning, which had a lot of Euros on 10 and 15. Should have foregone dinner
Sat night and stayed on 40...but there are things you learn as a married
man...