[3830] CaQP N6ED Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CaQP N6ED Single Op HP
From: N6ED@qsl.net (N6ED@qsl.net)
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 23:36:10 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: N6ED
Operator(s): N6ED
Station: N6ED

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    1       2
   80:   49      98
   40:  174     106
   20:  205     407
   15:  225     520
   10:  171     559
    6:    0       0
    2:    0       1
--------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, what a horse race between K6LA, K6NA(K6LL), and I.  I haven't had this much
fun in quite a while.  We were swapping the QSO # lead all the time and with the
CW vs. SSB (3 to 2 point) scoring, it was never clear who had the lead.  This
made for some real interesting strategy and kept my drive level high.  I have to
admit, I was even suprised that I was up there with those guys as I only use 1
radio (no SO2R).  I have no idea how much the 2nd radio would have helped but I
know that there was enough activity to have made some bonus Q's.  I guess there
is always time to start new projects!  Anyway, thanks to Ken and Dave for the
push.  I hope I made enough to hold off Ken for the new county record in LAX.
Interestingly enough, I was 100 Q's behind last year when I took my offtime on
Saturday night but I finished about 90 Q's ahead of last year.  I guess the
football games on Sunday must have sucked :)
The only Murphy appearance was my digital rotor control completely losing it's
position which happened during my peak rate on 20m and I was clueless as to
where I was pointed for over an hour.  I found out later that I was pointed due
south!!  Didn't seem to hurt the rate though as lots of W7's called in, who
knew!  Took me over an hour of reading the manual during CQ's which were few to
figure out how to re-cal the box.  Definately not something that has ever
happened before!!  I guess I should expect the unexpected next time.
Thanks to all the CA and non-CA guys who got on to make CQP such a brilliant
success and to the NCCC for continuing the hard work putting on a great show.
Thanks also to N6DE for all the publicity and to K6RO for the only 13 QSO band
sweep.

See you all in the next one!
73 de Craig, N6ED