[3830] CaQP W6ML Cnty Exped HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6ML Cnty Exped HP
From: w6kc@arrl.net (w6kc@arrl.net)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:17:57 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W6ML
Operator(s): W6KC, W6JTB, WQ6X, K6JI
Station: W6ML

Class: Cnty Exped HP
QTH: Mono
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:
   80:    72    174
   40:   252    254
   20:   270    482
   15:   350    458
   10:   128    618
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:  1072   1986  Mults = 58  Total Score = 416,904

Club:

Comments:

This was our 11th year operating a county expedition from Mammoth Lakes in Mono
County.  When I arrived on Thursday before CQP, there was 2? of fresh snow on
the ground.  Fortunately the WX warmed up and Friday antenna raising was done
with the help of a beautiful clear Sierra fall day.  Every year we try to
improve on the mix and placement of the antennas.  This year we had 3 element
wire beams for 15 & 20, a 3 element yagi for 10, 2 dipoles for 40 & 80 plus an
8JR all band array.  The 10M yagi was on a 30ft push up mast and all the other
wire antennas were 50 to 70 ft up in the pine trees.  Everything worked great
except for one of the borrowed amps.  So we were barefoot on 10M and 80M, but it
probably didn?t change things too much.  Condx often seemed to be a struggle,
especially on 20M. Only worked a handful of EU on Sunday AM.

Our score was about 4% below last year.  We improved on 80, 40 and 15, but loss
ground on 20 and 10.  Our PCs were networked with shared serial numbers, but we
had some start-up problems that kept us off 15 & 20 for the first ½ hour of the
contest.  Near the end of the contest I called N6ED on 15M CW and gave him my
#2978 and he gave me his #2475.  He had me repeat my # three times.  Guess he
didn?t know we were multi-multi and his Single Op score was still a winner.

The Eastern Sierra sure is a pretty place to do anything and especially a fun
event like CQP.  Thanks to all!

73, Jim, W6KC