[3830] CQWW SSB KE8RO SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KE8RO SOAB HP
From: ke8ro@arrl.net (ke8ro@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:12:06 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KE8RO
Operator(s): KE8RO
Station: KE8RO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   43    14       34
   15:  146    25       91
   10:    5     4        5
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

I did not get started until late Saturday night operating only a few hours. The
remainder of my operating was on Sunday. As many, family and work took
precedence over the contest.  It was a great time to test my station and get
ready for the CW contest next month.  I don't operate SSB often..

OBERVATIONS:
I concentrated on 15 meters and during the late hours, I moved to 20.  Plenty of
outstanding signals and plenty of great operators.  I was surprised at how brave
some are at operating so close to the band edge. It was interesting to listen to
some of the stations working their pile-ups.  I enjoyed listening to a certain
DX station control his many stations calling.  I enjoyed his direct and to the
point comments.  Excellent propagation was had to Europe and especially to the
Caribbean.  Strong 20+ over signals from both areas.  Pacific was not quite as
strong but a few stations out that way had some awesome signals.  Was worried
that Alaska had disappeared as they really did not show up here until the last
part of the contest.  I operated all S&P just basically looking for multipliers.

HIGHLIGHTS:
Working an all time new country, A61AJ on a couple of the bands.  I was really
excited to work them.  Looking forward to those QSL cards!  Also, when 5U7JK
commented on my signal being so strong over his pile-up.  Kinda nice to know the
station is working properly especially a station as small as mine!

CONCLUSION:
I have always enjoyed this contest.  Plenty of interesting callsigns heard and
worked. It is now time to find routes for those that I need and get the QSL
cards out.  Station and computers worked without any problem (other than when I
began operating on Sunday, I forgot my computer automatically made the time
change and I did not catch it until after working a handful of qso's) and no
complaints from the neighborhood (as of yet).  Thanks to all for the contacts
and also thanks to those who traveled many a mile to activate from someplace
other than home.  See you in the next one!

Phil KE8RO

Station: Icom756 PRO
Mosley TA-34-XL @ 56 feet
Ameritron AL-1500