[3830] CQWW SSB KT1V SOSB/80 HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KT1V SOSB/80 HP
From: ted@demop.com (ted@demop.com)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:43:39 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KT1V
Operator(s): KT1V
Station: KT1V

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 29
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:  517    20       85
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Since the XYL is ready to give birth anyday, I decided to try SOSB80 and had a
blast! Actually, it was a  flip of the coin minutes before the contest as to
whether I'd do 80 or 40, and I even seriously considered 160, except that
conditions were mediocre. Yeah, I'm a lowband guy - and prefer CW too!

Just completed a 2 element phased beverage array for EU (580' Bevs spaced 320
feet) to complement the Beverages and 4 Square. It didn't perform as the notes
below explain.
Started CQing and immediately the rate was well above 100 - but didn't last
long. That was really the only significant run I had!
Lots of slow rate, 25-50 and less, rates to Europe.
Missed some "relatively" easy zones: No zones 30 or 32 from the pacific, no KL7
for zone 1 (probably no propagation), never heard a ZS. Heard a JA over EU at
sunset, but couldn't work him, and also a JA on the SW path in the morning with
no luck - both quite weak. Did work all the Central/South American zones.

Tried SO2R single band for the first time. I listened on the second radio using
my most distant beverage and it worked "OK." Some DX stations I could actually
hear well, but just as often I'd only be able to hear the pileup - if KI, XX,
LPL and others were in the pileup I *knew* I needed that mult, and found quite a
few that way! There *was* quite a bit of interstation interference, but SO2R
still added a few mults/Qs to the score.

Unfortunately, days were not for sleeping! The harmonic insisted on playing
(both mornings shortly, like 5-10 minutes, after falling asleep he'd be up
tugging at me and yelling" UP DADA"). He did let me sleep 3-4 hours a day though
:) The XYL needed lots of help too - I don't think she can put on her own socks
anymore for example!

Some beverage notes: My 580 foot EU Beverage has always been a great performer,
Last season I added a 1100 foot EU beverage (with lots of help from W1AAX)  that
has rarely if ever been better than the 580. During the contest it was almost
always a little better to EU for the first time ever!!
The phased Beverage array just wasn't as good as either! I did switch RX
antennas all the time, and it just didn't cut the musturd last weekend. Once,
and only once, was it better - never would have worked the ER mult without it.

A couple of things I'd do differently next time:
1) I listened a lot below 3700. A lot of EU antennas don't resonate/load well
that low in the band. Should have listened higher more often.
2) Should have CQed more in the morning hours - I bet a ZL or ZK1 or something
might have called me. The only Pacific worked were 2 KH6s and VK6LK longpath.

Great time overall,
73
Ted KT1V