[3830] SS CW KU6J Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS CW KU6J Single Op LP
From: ku6j@ku6j.com (ku6j@ku6j.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:00:55 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KU6J
Operator(s): KU6J
Station: KU6J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SV
Operating Time (hrs): 19

------------
  160:    0
   80:   74
   40:   76
   20:  236
   15:  167
   10:  132
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The contest began with an explosion: an explosion of noise.  I couldn't believe
what I was hearing.  With the 500 Hz CW filter engaged, I measured the following
noise levels:

15m - S7
20m - S8.5
40m - S9 + 5 dB
80m - S9 + 20 dB

Ouch.  I've had occasional power line noise, but nothing like this.  I've never
heard noise this strong.  As the contest began, I had the XYL throw all the
breakers one by one, but nothing made it go away.  It wasn't in the house.  I
grabbed my Aircraft band HT (VHF AM) and took a quick walk outside.  It was
coming from the power line, with the noise peak at the pole in front of my
house.  Oh well, looks like I'll only S&P the really strong stations!  The noise
hung in there all of Saturday until finally, late that night after the temp
dropped into the 20's, it stopped.  But by the time I went to bed, I was 100 Q's
behind my normal peanut-whistle rate.  Doughhhhh!!

I awoke Sunday and found no noise.  I crossed fingers, crossed toes, knocked on
wood, tossed salt over shoulder, etc.  PLEASE Mr. Noise, stay away!  It did, and
I managed to salvage part of my loss from the previous day, finishing only 6 Q's
behind last year's total.   I was hoping for 750 Q's, but it wasn't to be.  I
guess I'll have to make an extra effort during the Phone weekend.

Best moment: breaking the VY1JA pile-up on the first call.  I was S&P-ing up 10m
on Sunday, found a big pile on 28.016, and there was J underneath.  I thought
"Hmmm... Doesn't J like to split up when things get hectic?"  Tuned up 1 kC and
there was an even bigger pile.  I listened and heard someone sending J an
exchange.  I zero-ed the guy, slid down 100 Hz for a bit of tonal separation,
entered the split, and made my first call.  Wham, got 'em!  The peanut-whistle
is in and out in less than a minute.

I guess the old axiom still holds true: listen first, THEN transmit.