[3830] SS CW W4NF SO Unlimited HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS CW W4NF SO Unlimited HP
From: john.omara@oakmgmt.com (john.omara@oakmgmt.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 07:27:51 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4NF
Operator(s): W4NF
Station: W4NF

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   36
   40:  569
   20:   56
   15:  184
   10:  151
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My goal was to make 1100 Qs.  That proved pretty hard and I struggled to make a
thousand.  I was sending Q number 1004 at the end of the contest but Writelog
only has 996 in my summary for some reason and I only logged one dupe.  I'll
have to figure that one out.  It looks like WL skipped a few numbers on me.  40
was the money band for me and one Saturday evening I had a run on 7057 that
lasted for 6.5 hours.  That run netted 375 Qs with a 58/hr rate over that
period.  Not earth shattering but pretty good for SS.  I had a good time and
thanks to VO1MP and VY1JA for the final two for the Sweep.  I'll see you all in
two week on phone.  A word of thanks has to go out to my wife Laurie, who
brought be meals in the shack and stopped in several times to see how I was
doing.  After 48 hours in CQWW SSB and 24 hours in SS CW she has shown great
tolerance for this insane hobby of mine.

Antennas

Force 12 C3E @ 87? (rotatable)
Cushcraft 40-2CD @ 75? (rotatable)
Force 12 C3E @ 58? (fixed on Europe Northeast)
Cushcraft A3S @ 35? (fixed Southeast)
80 Meter Vertical running up the side of the tower (with 64 ground radials)
160 Meter Inverted L also running up the side of the tower (both verticals use

the same feedpoint and ground radials)
80 Meter Dipole @ 60?
Unterminated 580? long Beverage NE/SW

Tower

Rohn 25G 75?
Guyed with 1/4? EHS at 3 places on the tower
Rotor ? Ham IV
(2) 700? long runs of Hardline (3/4? 75 ohm and 7/8? 50 ohm)
24? Chrome Molly Steel Mast

Antenna Switching and Stacking

6 x 2 Array Solutions SixPak
Stack Match (all 3 tribanders are connected to the Stack Match)
Dual Feedline Option (allows second radio to use one antenna in the stack)

Station

Rig                             FT 1000MP
2nd Rig                         IC 751
Amp                             Alpha 374A (160 ? 10 Meters)
Keyer                           AEA Contester CK-2 with Bencher
Computer                        Pentium 100
Logging Software                DX4WIN
Contesting Software             WriteLog
Band Switching                  Top Ten Devices Band Decoder
DVK                             MFJ
CW Keying                       Top Ten Devices DX Doubler
SO2R Switching                  Top Ten Devices DX Doubler
Antenna Switch                  WX0B Array Solutions SixPak
Stack Switch                    WX0B Array Solutions Stack Match
Bandpass Filters                ICE Multiband filters