[3830] SS CW N4GN Multi-Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS CW N4GN Multi-Op HP
From: n4gn@n4gn.com (n4gn@n4gn.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:58:58 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N4GN
Operator(s): N4GN, SM0WKA
Station: N4GN

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:  160
   40:  404
   20:  378
   15:  137
   10:   84
------------

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

It was great having Teemu, SM0WKA/SM0W in the shack with me for this one!  We
really had a lot of fun, even though we fell short of our score goal.

This was Teemu's first-ever U.S. domestic contest.  I think the long exchange
was unlike any contest he's ever done before, but he seemed to get the hang of
it pretty quickly.

It was also my first time to try a multi-op in SS.  I did 1278 raw QSOs as a
single op last year, so I figured with a two ops and packet, we'd have LOTS more
QSOs than that.  I didn't really realize going in how handcuffed we'd feel by
the "six band changes per hour" rule!  Now I know why the multi-op scores always
seem low relative to the top SO scores.  Frankly, I think SO2R is much easier
than multi!

We obviously didn't go in with the right operating strategy, and I'm not even
sure my station is currently capable of doing a serious multi-op in SS.  I'm
guessing it requires the ability to run the second radio in the same band as the
run radio, so you can pick off S&P stations without worrying abt the band change
rule.

N9RV's comments were also exactly what we experienced--the start was very tough!
 Just couldn't get anything going the first several hours as the masses were on
10 and 15, which are never very effective from here.  Sunday was slightly better
than normal, but not nearly enough to catch up . . .

73,

Tim Totten, N4GN
n4gn@n4gn.com