[3830] SS CW W5AC(UA0OFF) Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS CW W5AC(UA0OFF) Single Op LP
From: Dennis.Ignatenko@.edu (Dennis.Ignatenko@.edu)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:31:43 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W5AC
Operator(s): UA0OFF
Station: W5AC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  212
   20:  225
   15:  279
   10:  149
------------

Club:

Comments:

Texas A&M University Radio Club is one of the oldest in this country,
 founded in 1912.  Thus it was a privilege and fun sending the check of 12
 even despite very numerous fills, but also got many WOWs and HIHIs (though
 it's no joke, guys).

 Lots of firsts for me in this effort: first SS, first attempt at SO2R, first
 encounter with aftermaths of a lightning strike.

 Saturday morning after a club member pointed out that the 2m vertical above
the
 tri-bander is shredded, I also noticed that one leg of a 160m dipole is
missing,
 few other quirks hinted we may have taken a hit.  The tri-bander tuned and
 even the rotator worked -- except for the direction indicator -- so we
decided
 to look into it later since we usually have to notify campus police before
 climbing the roof or the tower.  Hindsight is 20/20 and now the fact is
 obvious -- the tri-bander was not alright.  On Saturday I did have
intermittent
 RF problems that I attributed to everything from bad patch cables to the new
 SO2R box, and even wrote off my IC706II as a contest rig.  The rig would just
 click and reboot right in the middle of sending an exchange!  So, frantically
 tried to troubleshoot, hooked up tuners, swapped in a TS930 (no CW filters),
 re-soldered a few SO2R connecting cables putting ferrite beads on them, all
the
 while trying to maintain a run frequency.  Finally gave up on the 2 rig idea
and
 went home to sleep with 441/77 at 0700.  The next morning, the tri-bander
showed
 high SWR and refused to tune even on the TS940, and I realized it was the
 culprit of the RF plague, albeit too late: for the rest of the Sunday I
 was stuck with one vertical for 20-15-10, a dipole for 40, and a prospect
 of a boring Sunday, which it turned out to be.

 Sweep was not a goal, and I didn't even feel up to fighting in the pile-ups
for
 the last mults.  I finally figured a way to run on 10m and S&P on 15m and made

 about 25 second radio QSOs (5% of Sunday's total).

 Notes to myself:
  - Lightnings are bad.
  - SO2R setups are a must on Sunday.
  - Run rates go up when football games end (e.g. 2100Z).
  - Sending check of 12 is definately worth the trouble.
  - QSOs with "real" QRP statons ;-) are a good way to loose a run frequency
in
     this contest.

 Thanks to everyone for a fun time.  I enjoyed it.  Lots of great CW ops
 to learn from.

 Dennis
 UA0OFF, KD5KQN