[3830] SS SSB WN3VAW Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS SSB WN3VAW Single Op LP
From: wn3vaw@arrl.net (wn3vaw@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 04:12:55 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WN3VAW
Operator(s): WN3VAW
Station: WN3VAW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Pittsburgh, PA
Operating Time (hrs): 5

------------
  160:
   80:   45
   40:   40
   20:   10
   15:   20
   10:   10
------------

Club: Wireless Association of South Hills

Comments:

A token effort, I know, but I hadn't originally planned to be on at all
due to family commitments for most of Saturday and Sunday.  But I was on 30
CW late Saturday night looking for DX when I saw quite a few cluster spots
begging for WPA, so I decided to help some guys out, and once I got started
I decided to stay up and make a few contacts, and then a few more, and so
on...

(Note to nitpickers:  Once I decided to operate, the cluster went off and
stayed off.)

Biggest surprise of my brief operation:  Someone on 15 heard me and started
begging me to meet him "up 3." Took a few minutes to hook up, and to my
surprise, it was VO1HP.  Still find it hard to believe that he'd need WPA
as late as Sunday afternoon, but stranger things have happened!

Also found 10 Meters slow going; band was too open, I heard little but
European DX coming through.  Did the best I could with the little bit of
time I had for it, by the time I got back on in the evening, the band
was shut down.

73, ron wn3vaw