[3830] SS SSB K7ZO Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K7ZO Single Op HP
From: k7zo@cableone.net (k7zo@cableone.net)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:58:09 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K7ZO
Operator(s): K7ZO
Station: K7ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Idaho
Operating Time (hrs): 4

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:    1
   20:   19
   15:  336
   10:    6
------------

Club:

Comments:

Sure was a lot of fun. Operating only a few hours means the rate stays high.
Manged 4 hours or so around yard work and other chores. Had nice stretches over
200/hr, which is pretty good with the SS exchange.

The new 15M beam continues to prove its worth. A 4 ele OWA design on a 15' boom.
A Home Depot special that works great. Will be trying it out in CQWW this
weekend.

Favorite story was late on Sunday. I found K3ZO, K5ZO, and K9ZO all CQing on 40M
within 30-40 kHz of each other. I had to join the fray and stopped by to call CQ
for a while. No one ever did come back though so I moved back to 20M.

I echo other comments about 40M being really weird. I can usually very easily
work the nearby section on 40M in early evening before the band goes long. This
year the band seemed go long very early with stations from the midwest booming
in. I could not work them with my low antenna and 300W. I ended up missing near
in sections OR, NV, UT, and MT along with VY and the VE1's. Probably spent 5-7
minutes calling CQ at several times and never had a station come back.

Thanks for the Q's.