[3830] CQWW CW P40Q(K0DQ) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW P40Q(K0DQ) SOAB HP
From: redd@analog.org (redd@analog.org)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 07:03:07 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: P40Q
Operator(s): K0DQ
Station: P49V

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   52    11       23
   80:  431    17       66
   40: 1109    26       88
   20: 1371    36      102
   15: 1362    30      102
   10: 2243    29      101
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

44 hour effort from P49V QTH  (sleep:  3 hrs, repairs:  1 hr)

Well, the Great Iguana Shootout of ?02 is history.  Based on initial reports, it
appears that 3 of the top 4 or 5 in the ?Heavyweight? SOABHP class will be
P40?s.  Jose, CT1BOH, operating from Jacky, P43P?s station, was the clear and
undisputed champion as P40E.  Jose?s superb score reflects his talent, stamina
and the value of SO2R done right, as opposed to SO2R done poorly (me) or not at
all (John, P40W).

This was my third operation from P4, and the second CQWW CW.  Executed the ?Run
and Pass? game plan this year better than last year which turned into ?Run and
Fumble.?  Low band conditions poor and noisy, with only one European on 160
(CT8T).

Got an e-mail from Steve, N8BJQ, the Monday before contest advising that I?d won
the CQ WPX CW 02 contest in SOAB HP, a great encouragement and, more
importantly, the penultimate step in my personal goal of winning the world in
all of what I consider the ?Big Six? (both modes, SOAB HP, of CQWW, CQWPX and
ARRL DX).  Never mind that four of the victories were 30 years old (XE1IIJ and
aliases).  Thus, winning this one would have completed the Grand Slam.

It was not to be.  In fact, it wasn?t even close.

Stripping away the difference in hours spent on the air, the major factor in
Jose?s margin of victory was multipliers. John, P40W, and I were roughly equal
in multipliers while Jose had 100+ more multipliers.  The difference was SO2R.

I started the contest as ?SO1.5R? (two transceivers, no linear on second radio).
 Plan was to use second radio for passing easy multipliers and finding big
signal multipliers.  Did that reasonably well, although didn?t do much passing
first day.  Due to antenna switch problems and what turned to be cockpit
problems (yes, the spot switch on the FT1000D stays ON if your keyboard presses
it), I ended up SO1R for the second half of the contest.

The story is in the stats.  In all, I had a total of 22 second-radio QSO?s, of
which half were passes from another band or P4/PJ2 local multipliers.  John
presumably had none, but Jose had about 130 second radio multipliers, NOT
INCLUDING passes from other bands.  ALL were multipliers.

My 20 odd second radio contacts were theoretically worth about 300K points, but
the dark side of that theory is that SO2R done poorly can be negative influence,
i.e. a tremendous distraction, which manifests itself most notably in less than
optimum rates on the first radio.

Frankly, on Sunday night, I was about ready to give it up, cede the field to
youth and energy and join the Multi-op ranks as 160M op where I could sleep.  I
could see making a few hundred more QSO?s and a few more multipliers but could
not envision improvements of the magnitude needed to give the Jose?s of the
world a run for their money.

However, Jose graciously sat down with me Monday night and ran through how he
does SO2R.  Having ?done? SO2R from the states in 70?s and 80?s, I thought I
knew how to do it.  But doing it at 180-200 per hour rates from DX is a very
different ball game.  In particular, my homemade audio switching doesn?t hack
it.  Now, thanks to Jose?s tutorial, I can see my way forward to more
improvement and a shot at the win.  Hope springs eternal and wait ?til next
year.

Other than that, as Jose noted the four hours from European to Aruban sunrise
are notable mostly for their temptation to sleep.  Waiting to hear from the zone
33 crews.

Blessings and 73 from Aruba, where we?re having a family reunion!  One Happy
Island, Mon!