[3830] ARRL 160 N0DY Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N0DY Single Op HP
From: n0dy@arrl.net (n0dy@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 07:22:18 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N0DY
Operator(s): N0DY
Station: N0DY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 27

Total:  QSOs = 1019  Sections = 74  Countries = 4  Total Score = 160,134

Club: Eastern Iowa DX Assn

Comments:

My first 160M contest. It was mistake filled from the start! Left work early to
put up 160 antenna in time for 0000Z start. Oops, start is 2200Z. Was doing
pretty well until the FT-1000MP V suddenly lost RX sensitivity the first night.
No problem, swapped out a buddy's FT-1000MP and continued. Lost RX sensitivity
on it about 2230Z Saturday. Apparently the NE beverage is too close to the TX
antenna and I blew out the front end on both rigs (slow learner). Went and
sulked for about 2 hours then got back on with a lightning-damaged IC-746 (and
NO beverages) to work the rest of the contest.

Had a great time. Sorry to those QRP guys I couldn't copy on the main antenna
with the 746. I'm halfway between two strong BC stations and the 746 just wasn't
quite up to it. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it).