[3830] ARRL 160 VA3KA Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VA3KA Single Op LP
From: va3ka@rac.ca (va3ka@rac.ca)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 08:22:28 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VA3KA
Operator(s): VA3KA
Station: VA3KA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 21

Total:  QSOs = 388  Sections = 56  Countries = 6  Total Score = 49,414

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Was not planning to operate from home in this contest but was encouraged to do
so by my neighbour Bert VE3QAA. Missed the first 5 hours as had to attend a
Christmas festivity in a nearby town. After a couple of hours was pleasantly
surprised at how low power and low antenna (inverted vee at 40 feet) was working
so decided to carry on the best I could. After the first night had a goal of 50K
points and maybe 500 Q's (did not make it).

The band was really quiet. I was hearing quite well. Managed to work 6 DX
countries (DL,CT,SP,FM,ZF,and P4) and heard VP5,G,KP2. Had trouble getting over
the mountains to the west with only 1 CA Section + UT and ID worked over
there.

Also missed WCF,AR,EWA (heard but not worked) and ND (not heard) as well of most
of Canada west of Ontario (except VA5DX!).

See you all in Feb CQ 160 SSB !