[3830] ARRL 160 NX5M M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 NX5M M/S HP
From: nx5m@arrl.net (nx5m@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:18:08 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, UA0OFF
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 31

Total:  QSOs = 1062  Sections = 78  Countries = 12  Total Score = 200,340

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This is the first time that I did not start a contest on time.  At 2315z we were
finally on the air.  My first qso was with K5NA running barefoot while the amp
warmed up.  I don't think a late start makes that much of a difference in the
160 contest anyway....at least here in Texas and even moreso out west.

It has been a couple of years or so since doing a 160 contest.  In the past I
had been getting frustrated with people getting right on the frequency I was
using and proceeding to CQ right in my face.  In some cases they do not hear me
but that could be because they are not listening in this direction. Other times
I guess I am just not loud enough.  Me, I still ask a couple of times and switch
east and west to attempt to be sure I am not right on top of someone.  Seems
nothing has changed though.  Amazing how many stations never even asked
"QRL?".

There were so many stations on it was difficult to find a decent frequency.  In
one instance things were going along fine until some guy (I will omit who it
was) proceeded to park himself far enough below me that a "normal" signal would
not bother me...but his key clicks have had permanent effects on my ears.  I
imagine that is all I will hear in my head tonight once I go to bed.  It sure
made it difficult to copy those who were calling.

The amp quit on us three times. In the process of getting it back up and running
we had to run barefoot.  At times it only took a matter of seconds for the walls
to come crashing in but we did our best to maintain the frequency until we could
crank out wattage again. I think it has something to do with some rf getting in
via a beverage.  I thought I had them all bullet proof but the 80 degree seems
to have a rusty spot in its armour.  Something else to fix!

I feel that some stations get tired of having to send their call two or three
times before we get it.  If any of "those" stations read this posting please
keep in mind that we are switching between RX antennas and it may take a couple
of calls before we actually hear you.

The JA's were really coming through Sunday morning.  I was disappointed however
that we did not work more EU.  We elected to make qsos in some cases vs trying
to work a few EU mults in pileups.  I had hoped for more dx mults than the 12 we
got.  Only got about half of what I had thought would be possible.

Thanks to you guys for dialing around and working all of us!

73 from the crew at NX5M!!
Bob NX5M, Mike N5XJ, Dennis UA0OFF