[3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP
From: nx5m@arrl.net (nx5m@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:44:27 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, N5OLS, N5DUW, KB5ZFO
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 35

   CW: 1305   149
  SSB: 2039   166
-------------------
Total: 3344   315  Total Score = 2,932,650

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Comments from the ops:
Wow, that went by fast! Mike- N5XJ

(When asked if he had any comments) No, I am too tired to think. Don- N5OLS

This was a great contest-- Awesome station, solid ops and excellent conditions
combined for an exciting weekend!  The 10m contest is quickly becoming one of my
favorite events of the year.  Thanks to Bob, NX5M for allowing me to be a part
of this team.  Jack- N5DUW

Friday night there was some sort of problem with some audio humm.  It was not
real bad so we elected to continue and worry about finding the source after we
shut down later in the night.  About midnight I told the other guys to go ahead
and head into the house and get some sleep and I would stay up all night and fix
the problem.  Basically I ended up tearing apart almost every computer,
connector, headset, etc., in the shack.  What a mess I had at 3am. At this point
my frame of mind was that I did not want to be in this hobby anymore!  I was
thinking about the things I could pay off if I just sold everything. Finally
after 4 hours of tearing apart and swapping equipment I finally did something
(whatever it was) that cleared up the issue.  WHAT A RELIEF!!!  I left a note on
the door of the shack describing what all I had done and let the ops know that I
was going to be sleeping in so they would have to handle things.  430am I
finally put my head to rest on the pillow.  Ahhhhhh, this is some good sleep!

It was for a while anyway.  7am I was awakened to come out and deal with a
computer lockup. Must have been a bad keystroke combination. "Well, I am up now
so I may as well stay up."  I went into town and picked up some breakfast for
everyone.  I finally had a chance to get some sleep so I crashed from about 2pm
until 5pm.

At least the rest of the contest was uneventful.  I think we deserved to have
the rest of the weekend go without failure.

The "idiot" award for the weekend goes to me.  Trying to work LZ0A on the wrong
antenna.  I finally worked him but I did it with a "spray array" pointed
northwest and northeast.  Probably would have gotten through much faster if I
had selected the due south antenna.  Maybe fatigue cluttered my senses.  Sounds
like a good excuse to me!

The ops here did a fine job.  We were behind last years pace at the halfway
point by over 200 qsos.  By the time we shut down Saturday night we were 250
qsos ahead of the previous year.  All due to the extra opening from 0-land to
4-land....including a few LU's mixed in there.  The band was still open at
midnight but there was just no one calling in.  Everyone must have gone to
bed.
Bed, now that is not a bad idea.  We all crashed!  I crashed for 7 hours...boy
did I need that!

I never would have thought that we would have ended up with the score we did
after the way things had gone for the first half of the contest.  The guys that
operated with me did a super job.

Happy Holidays!