[3830] ARRL 10 VO1MP SO CW LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VO1MP SO CW LP
From: gussam@newcomm.net (gussam@newcomm.net)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:03:28 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VO1MP
Operator(s): VO1MP
Station: VO1MP

Class: SO CW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   CW: 1303   128
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1303   128  Total Score = 667,136

Club:

Comments:

ARRL 10 METER CONTEST -- 2002
      Call:      VO1MP
      Category:  Single Operator
      Power:     Low Power
      Band:      Mono 10
      Mode:      CW
      State:     Nf

      MODE  QSO PTS STATES  COUNTRIES

       CW  1303  5212  56   72
      SSB  0     0     0    0

      Totals 1303 5212  56  72  =   667,136

All reports sent were 599, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description: FT-1000MP- Field
                       Classic 33  3-element Tribander

Spent most of Saturday tweaking the knobs and dials of my
newest acquisition - FT 1000MP Field. Finally figured out
the computer and keyer set up Friday afternoon  BTW
if i ever do this again remeber  STEP TWO:  after altering  printer
cable interface remember to re-plug  cable back into into computer !!
All duly finalized  just before contest time , however not enough time to
get an Amp on line.
Unfortunately the band failed to co-operate and closed early here
ergo:  I did not make a Contact until Saturday
Played most of Saturday high in the band above 28100 tweaking knobs
and generally familiarizing myself with rig.
It is Not often one makes nearly 2 to 1 qsos on second day of
any contest!
Had to quit early Saturday about 2000z to attend office
Christmas Party then brother's Birthday bash  so lost some good
operating time there.
Late on parade Sunday after late night and
never got on band until 1130 UTC ,so am not sure what I missed
the band was a bit flat here, so started calling CQ around 28001
kinda tongue in cheek  hi!
Conditions and Band seemed to co-operate and by this time I had figured out
most of the features of the rig ( Interpret -  as- " barely " ) I was
able to stay around 28001  for most of the day running barefoot !!
Needless to say I am suitably impressed with my first ever Yaesu after 13
different model Kenwoods hi!
As long as the 500 hz CW filter is engaged it Compares
favourably with either of my Kenwood 950/850/930 trio
WITHOUT the filter there is a
"pumping action"  no tone or noise just signal from any strong nearby station.
Even so it might be time for another switch/upgrade? hi, The receiver is
super !! and there might be a fix for that problem . Band conditions were
down from last year.....,
Missed ..  WAS... my little contest
within the contest  no Maine ,Wyoming or North Dakota for WAS
Maine is close in and a perennial miss, but the other two are usually easier
because distance and Propagation favours them ! Undoubtedly, it is difficult
to guage what kind of difference a kilowatt to one of my monobanders
or a real antenna might have  made !
All fun and games . Nary a JA or anthing over the pole unless they were there
Saturday evening when I wasn't  so can  presume that this
is an indication of things to come, however it is still hanging in  there
so not so bad yet  !
For the many who asked for an SSB contact sri I usually only do this in
CW  mode and there should have been lots of other VOs on I'm Sure.
VO1TA VO1HP et al.
Now when is the next one hi!
C'y'all Then GLWCDR.
Compliments of the Season/Merry Christmas etc etc
73 Gus VO1MP