[3830] ARRL 10 K7MI SO Mixed HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K7MI SO Mixed HP
From: k7mi@hamtoys.com (k7mi@hamtoys.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:39:02 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K7MI
Operator(s): K7MI
Station: K7MI

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 22

   CW:  894   100
  SSB: 1557   116
-------------------
Total: 2451   216  Total Score = 1,445,040

Club:

Comments:

This was a contest not soon to be forgotten. Although Mr Murphy stayed out of
the shack, Mother Nature did her best (worst?) to make things difficult. One
of
the worst Nor'westers in years decided to arrive just in time for the contest.
Since the QTH here is only 800 feet inland from the Pacific, the antennas take
the full fury of these storms. Fortunately, the last of the Ham-4 rotors was
replaced by Big Boys this summer and these rotors are the only ones I have found
that will not only hold the antennas on heading but will turn them in the proper
direction during storms. (Kudos to Prosistel for a great rotor).

Band conditions seemed pretty good but EU opening were very short both days
which is to be expected from the Pacific NW. A power outage Friday night that
lasted until 1630Z Saturday morning caused me to miss most of the EU opening
that moring and definitely hurt the score. Power stay on the rest of the weekend
but the UPS supplies were beeping intermittently all day and a power surge blew
a fuse in the amp but I quickly replace it and everything was fine.

Also, having heavy rain being driven into the antennas by 100+ MPH winds caused
a lot of S9 rain static that was present for about 60-70% of the weekend. My
apologies to those station I could not pull out of all that racket.

miLog software and ethernet control of radios, antennas and rotors worked
perfectly as always.

It was a challenging weekend and most of all, it was a blast. See you all in
Stew-Perry.

Rigs:  FT1000MP + IC756
Amps:  AL82 + AL1200
Ants:  5 el homebrew at 80' + 5 el homebrew at 40'
Soft:  miLog 5.07