[3830] ARRL 160 AA4LR Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 AA4LR Single Op LP
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (aa4lr@arrl.net)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:39:59 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 8

Total:  QSOs = 236  Sections = 49  Countries = 2  Total Score = 24,531

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100
Kenwood AT-250

Antenna:
80m doublet at 35 feet

Comments:

After as much fun as I had last year, I couldn't miss the ARRL 160m contest this
year. To load the antenna, I had to resort to using the Kenwood AT-250. However,
to get it to work with the Elecraft required a real jury-rigged arrangement made
just minutes before operating -- complete with wires stuck into sockets and a
couple of clip leads.

The K2/100 worked great. The memory keying feature got a workout, as did the new
KPA100 option.  The receiver is outstanding. The strong nearby signals do not
phase the K2. Operated mostly with the 400 Hz filtering, although I occasionally
backed it off to 1000 Hz. Once or twice the 100 Hz filter was handy, but it is
too darn difficult to tune around the band with it on.

My CW must be getting better. Qs are about half S & P, and half run.

Amazed so many people could hear my signal through this lousy antenna. Worked
several more sections this year, including three in California! Also worked ZF
and FM for some DX.

Great fun! I'll be back next year. Maybe I'll even have an antenna,too.