[3830] TBDC N0FP Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] TBDC N0FP Single Op LP
From: ford@cmgate.com (ford@cmgate.com)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:28:17 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N0FP
Operator(s): N0FP
Station: N0FP

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN25 MN
Operating Time (hrs): 7

Total:  QSOs = 214  Total Score = 1,177

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

This score is just a guess.  My WriteLog doesn't support figuring out the score
accurately so I just guessed with a 2.75 QSO point mult.  I'll just submit my
log and hope for an "average" plaque.

Another year ends with the annual running of the Stew Perry.  What a shock
to work W1BB last night. For a moment, I thought that maybe I had stepped
into the Twilight Zone--I had to look over my shoulder to see if Rod Serling
was standing at the doorway of my shack...

I don't think propagation was very good.  Never even heard the likes of W8JI
or any of his SE pals.  Unless of course most of the signals were QRPers.
Conditions on this end were excellent -- noise floor on the transmit antenna
at S1 without any attenuator.  East and west coasts were heard from
time-to-time but never very strong (QRP phenomena?)  I worked only two DX --
KH6 and FM5.

Speaking of plaques, Rich N0HJZ/ENXX is the first station I've ever heard
trying
the "rover" classification in a 160 contest.  There used to be a left coast
guy that would run mobile but from one location out on the salt flats--put
down a pretty good signal too.  Rich should have sponsored a Rover Category
plaque.  I guess it would be one good way to "win" the Stew.

No room for a low noise receive antenna here.  I had to use the transmit
antenna, which is a shunt fed tower "L" arrangment.  I've already heard from
right coast QRPers who said I was there at S8, and would just CQ in their QRP
face.  If you are one of them, I owe you a Q next year.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com