[3830] TBDC W5PR Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] TBDC W5PR Single Op HP
From: W5PR@aol.com (W5PR@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:29:16 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W5PR
Operator(s): W5PR
Station: W5PR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 3

Total:  QSOs = 59  Total Score = 59

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

Sure wish my NE Beverage had been up.  It goes through the woods with huge
brambles all the way.  I cannot see what is wrong, but it is down.  I could
still hear better on it than the transmit inverted V.  I have been reading the
other posts about how quiet the band was. ("Too quiet" someone said.) Well, that
was not true in South Texas.  I could only copy the loudest stations on the
transmit antenna.  The short SE beverage was ok, but the NE, broken Beverage was
still the best receiving antenna.  I could just barely pull out ON6AA and ON4UN,
but at least I did.  FM5BH and KV4FZ were good copy on the SE Beverage.  I was
exhausted and packed it in early.  I hope to get the NE Beverage working before
CQWW160.  Question:  Would I be better off converting my inverted V transmit
antenna to a 1/4 wave sloper?  (Apex=140 feet.)  I would have to change out the
balun for a center insulator...

Chuck, W5PR