[3830] TBDC K8GU Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] TBDC K8GU Single Op LP
From: ethan@palau.onu.edu (ethan@palau.onu.edu)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:58:08 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K8GU
Operator(s): K8GU
Station: K8GU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN90
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 230  Total Score = 956

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Radio:  TS-830S, no CW filter (yikes!), no DSP

TX-Antenna:  170' Inverted-L, 60' vertical section, series fed with 500-pf
variable, 20x 70' radials

RX-Antennas:  3x 500' unterminated beverages at 2' (N-S, NE-SW, NW-SE)
1x 250' unterminated beverage at 4' (E-W)

Best DX:  FM5BH

The usual BS:

I just kinda threw this stuff together the week before the contest.  The
beverages performed remarkably well given the lack of planning on my part.
The N-S beverage ran parallel to a woven-wire fence and perpendicular to a
power line.  And, it was consequently noisy.  The other beverages were kept
at least a half wavelength away from the Inverted-L and much further from
other "evil" radiators and re-radiators.  They were quite quiet.

I chose to use the Kenwood over my trusty FT-840 (which has a CW filter)
because I was checking it out for use at W8FT.  I'll be recommending we get
some filters.  (Duh!)  The lack of a filter really hurt my ability to run
and kept me from hearing a few guys.  Any comments on my signal would be
appreciated as this rig may be showing up in our next multi activity at
W8FT.

I heard a bunch (ON4UN, HG3M, 9A5Y, G3SED, OH2KI, ON6AA, GM3POI, etc) of
Europeans at their sunrise, but couldn't raise any.  I guess that spells
"gain array", eh?  I suppose it depends on where I am next year.

Thanks for the QSO's, everyone.  QSL OK to the CBA for HOLMES county, etc.
I'll be back at W8FT for the CQ 160 next month...

73...

--Ethan, K8GU.