[3830] RTTY Roundup AA5AU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AA5AU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 07:40:47 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  225
   40:  320
   20:  445
   15:  500
   10:  307
------------
Total: 1797  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 63  Total Score = 219,234

Club:

Comments:

There are two things that stand out this year.  Activity seemed at an all time
high and the unbelievable condx on the low bands, 80M in particular.  Despite
moderate high band condx, they weren't great but they weren't bad, RTTY ops
showed up in a big way this year.  10 and 15 were not great to EU, but they were
fantastic to the USA, especially 10 meters.

The quality of RTTY operation this year was superb!  Even the new guys got it
right.  It was, in my opinion, the best ever Roundup.

I did a lot of preparation away from the main set up.  Since my set up stays in
place year around, most of my preparation was for a visit from Murphy.  I had
spare of just about everything.  Luckily, the spares were not needed.

Several firsts for me this year.  First time I ever had at least 200 QSO's on
all five bands.  First time I ever had at least 300 QSO's on 4 bands.  First
time over 1700 QSO's in this contest.  There were stations everywhere.

The only multiplier I saw that I didn't work was VE8AE.  Saw him at the top of
15M S&P, but could not catch him.  I missed LAB but worked all 48 stations, DC
plus KH6 and KL7.  K3LT called me on 10M from Delaware at 1814Z for my last
state.  He was QSO number 1462.  I chased A45WD all over the place and he
finally called me on 20M late in the contest.

This is the first time I ran WriteLog's rate meter.  It stayed near or above 100
Q's an hour for the first five hours.  At one time I had a rate of 226/hr for an
8 minute period.  The rate really slowed down in the hour before my scheduled
rest period (0700-1300Z).  The rate fell below 50/hr.  I thought about quitting
15 or 30 minutes earlier, but 80 was so good I decided to stay with the plan of
attack and go all way to 0700.  80 was super.  Worked a couple of EU stations
like they were locals.  I don't recall it ever being that good for a contest.

At my break at 0700Z, I had 1082 QSO's which was 141 more than my record setting
year 2001.  Despite this awesome first 13 hours, I was not convinced the record
was possible.  I went into the contest not thinking about the record, but as I
laid down to rest I was wondering if 10 & 15 would cooperate on Sunday.

I'm glad I stayed with my rest period plan because the first couple of hours on
10 and 15 were slow.  Actually, 10 was not open at 1300Z and did not open for
another 45 minutes so I stayed on 15 and 20.  10 finally opened, but it was slow
going.  My rate that first hour was barely 60.  Then at 1530Z, both 10 and 15
opened big time to the USA.  It lasted for 2.5 hours.  I got the rate meter back
close to 100/hr again when things started to slow again at 1800z.  The rate
dropped in the next 3 hours, then gradually picked back up at 2100Z and
gradually increased again until the end.  I worked 67 stations in the last
hour!

There are three events which contributed to the best score I ever had in this
contest.  The first was very important.  It has been dry in southeast Louisiana
for several days.  When everything is this dry, I have very little RFI on 20M
when I transmit the high side of 40.  So I was able to operate 20 and 40
together effectively for nearly 2 hours before moving from 20 to 80.  Last year
it rained and I was forced to go from 20 to 80 when I moved the other radio from
15 to 40.  The 2nd event was the quiet condx on 80.  Having gone to 80 later
than in previous years, I was still able to make more QSO's than in the past.
The 3rd event was the outstanding 10 meter opening to stateside from 1530Z to
1830Z.  The band seemed open to the entire USA and Canada.  This event helped
offset the lack of a great EU opening such as the one I had in 2001.

15 was very good.  I struggled to make my 500 QSO goal and once I did I
abandoned it and went to 40 for last 90 minutes.  40 was great at the end of the
contest.  I pretty much left 20 meters alone on Sunday until 1900Z.  The band
was very good to stateside and I was able to easily make my goal of 400.

Breaking the world record never really crossed my mind until the rest break.  I
had always thought the 2001 record would stand until the next solar cycle.  But
this cycle is still hanging tough.

Congrats to the operator at VP5NN.  Whoever it was, he/she/they were very good
-and LOUD.  Congrats to all the new RTTY operators.  There were lots of new
calls worked.  Thanks to all for the 5-band QSO's.  There were too many to list
here.  Thanks to everyone for working me and making this my best Roundup ever!

73, Don AA5AU