[3830] NAQP SSB N4VI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4vi@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N4VI Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:58:49 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: N4VI
Operator(s): N4VI
Station: N4VI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    0     0
   80:   61    28
   40:  205    43
   20:  331    51
   15:  220    35
   10:  154    27
-------------------
Total:  971   184  Total Score = 178,664

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: GMCC Horsethief Pass

Comments:

Rig:  TS870
Logging by TR

Antennas:

160m: none
80m:  linear loaded dipole
40m:  dipole
20/15/10m:  Cushcraft D-3 dipole @ about 25-30'

Well it started out great, at least for me, and went downhill as the sun
fell.  10m was OK, but not enough mults, 15m was pretty good and 20m was
cooking.   It looked like 1000 Q's was within reach until the new 80m
antenna turned into a big disappointment (more about that later).  Aside
from 80m, I'd say the weak points of the contest for me were not being
aggressive enough on 20 (despite 330 Q's) and 40m.  20m was was packed
wall-wall  and the TS 870  filtering simply isn't good enough which
makes holding a run frequency, or finding one for that matter, a little
tough.  On 40m, I remember calling CQ and thinking, "Geez I hope no one
answers", between the QRM and broadcast stations nothing gives a
headache quicker then working 40m phone.  That said, everytime I tried
to get a 40m run going I was fairly successful.  Mults were lower then
expcted too.  Last week I had 22 more  mults on CW!

Sidenotes:

Took a long lunch on Friday and maneuvered the D-3 up another 10' or so
on the tree it calls home.  It actually took until Saturday morning to
get that secured.  Then I started getting the 80m dipole up which has
been in the garage since before CW NAQP.  That job was  finished up
between 3:30 and 5pm (local) during a 1 1/2 hour break.  It looked good,
tuned good and I had high expectations of at least being able to S&P
efficiently.  That didn't turn out to be the case.  Interestingly
enough, this morning I see that the center support rope for the antenna must
have come untied leaving the antenna  a basically unhealthy state.  The $100
question is when did that happen?  We have had high winds, but I don't
think they got "bad" until after the contest.  I really hesitate to wait
until Sprint to find out how well the antenna works!  ;-)

At anyrate, it was great fun and I don't believe my ears suffered any
permanent damage!

Misc Observations:

Did the Ontario contest club have a required contesting outing this
weekend?  I've never worked so many VE3's on one contest before.

Hats off to wa7lnw who had 1240 Q's with a 80m dipole fed with ladder
line!

73's

chris, n4vi

QSO Distribution