[3830] CQ160 CW VO1HP Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1hp@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VO1HP Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:10:45 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VO1HP
Operator(s): VO1HP
Station: VO1HP

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: St.John's
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 325  State/Prov = 39  Countries = 37  Total Score = 152,684

Club:

Comments:

Conditions on both nights were very good and many very strong signals.
The big negative for me was the number of megawatt east coast USA station
calling endless CQ's in the So called DX window.  I thought CQ160 was supposed
to be a DX contest....its starting to sound like another worked all states and
provinces!   There were stations like P3F and RW2F being obilterated  by the big
guns in the window.  Why can't the run stations just stay outside the window so
that DX can run their pileups in the window.??
I had hoped to break 500 Q's in this effort but missed it by a mile because I
gave up in disgust early Saturday night and went to a concert.  There was no way
to get away from the endless CQ'ers.  This contest years ago used to be
enjoyable and a chance to work a few new ones.  The gentlemans band has gone the
way of the Great Auk and its too bad that this last corner of ham radio has been
usurped by the instant gratification drive for a higher than last years score
posted on a web site or in a magazine.  I think that CQ Magazine and the plaque
sponsors should reconsider the elimination of the DX window .  What is the point
of having a contest on this band that sounds like NAQP or SS....!!!   They need
to look at what has happened to this contest and decide that it should be fixed
by rule changes that will open it up again as a DX contest ...not just another
NA 48 hour power-fest !!   Or maybe I am  missing the point of this contest
??....maybe its not about working DX 10 point Q's at all....maybe its about
selling magazines ?? ...which is the only place that you can see the official
reults.